5 Fun Ways to Celebrate “Love Your Pet” Day
For many of us, an official "Love Your Pet Day" might seem a little unnecessary. We love our pets every day! But every year on February 20th, Love Your Pet Day serves as a little reminder to give our beloved pets some special attention. Here are a few fun ways to celebrate Love Your Pet Day this year.
1. Try something new! Do you always walk your dog on the same route every day? Do you usually just play fetch in the yard? Try a different activity and shake up your usual routine!
- Dogs love to smell and explore new places, so try walking along a different route, or maybe take your dog for a hike on a new trail.
- For older dogs or those with joint issues, swimming can be a great alternative.
2. Try a DIY pet project. DIY pet projects can be incredibly fun for both you and your pet. You can find all kinds of fun ideas online, and many of them won't cost you a penny.
- Want to try making your own adorable treat jar? Here's a great project from Jessica of Beagles and Bargains.
- How about a DIY pet scarf--no sewing required! This is a great project from Maggie Marton of Oh My Dog!. If you have an foster dog that's available for adoption, you can easily stamp "adopt me" letters on this scarf.
3. Have a playdate. If your dog enjoys the company of other dogs, a playdate is an easy, low-stress way to let your dog burn off energy and get some valuable social time with other dogs.
- You can often find meet-up groups online of people looking to get together for a dog park play date or group hikes.
- It's important to note that not all dogs enjoy the chaotic environment of the dog park. If your otherwise friendly dog can get snappy or uncomfortable at the dog park, opt for a smaller playdate with just one or two dogs.
4. Make homemade dog treats. Making dog treats at home is another fun project that your dog will definitely love!
You can't go wrong with healthy, homemade treats.
- Here are some simple and fun dog treat recipe ideas from Sarah Lukemire of Lola the Pitty.
- This is another fun dog treat recipe for Christmas cookies--but you can make them year-round!
5. Love a shelter dog! While loving your own pet is great, loving a shelter dog is a great way to give back in honor of Love Your Pet Day.
- Shelters always need donations like towels, dog food, and treats. Reach out to your local shelter and see how you can help.
- Fostering is a great way to make a huge difference in a shelter dog's life. There's likely a rescue group in your area that would love to have you volunteer with them.
Season 6 ends with a bang as Holly and Victoria reveal two brand new releases that listeners will be able to enjoy.
Victoria and Holly chat about the Victoria Stilwell Academy and the latest news from the program. They also answer your most...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- Why ‘Dominance’ Shouldn’t Be a...
- Isn’t It Amazing?
- Letter From The Dog
- VSA’s First UK Course Is Complete. Who’s Next...
- Why I’m Not (and never have been) a Purely...