DIY Valentine’s Day Treat Jar
I always like to celebrate the holidays with my dog Luna. With Valentine's Day right around the corner, I couldn't think of a better way to share my love with my food hound than through food.
Making homemade treats can be a lot of fun and is a great way to show your dogs how much you care for them, but if your household is anything like mine delicious treats are gone in just a few seconds.
A customized treat jar can be reused over and over again and specialized for certain holidays or a specific pet.
Glass jar with metal lid
Heart hole punch or scissors
Frosted Glass Spray Paint (Rust-Oleum or another water resistant paint)
Pink or red spray paint
1. Punch out heart shapes from the contact paper. Punch out enough to decorate your jar. If you don't have a heart hole punch, you can also cut them out by hand. Heart shape stickers are another good option, but may be more difficult to remove later.
2. Stick the hearts onto the glass in your desired pattern. Contact paper comes off pretty easily, so you can move the hearts around until you are happy with the look. You can also add a heart sticker or two to the metal lid.
3. Unscrew the lid and flip the jar over. Spray paint the glass jar with the frosted glass spray paint according to the paint's directions. Cover in 2-3 coats, waiting 10 minutes or more in between.
4. Paint metal lid with red or pink spray paint while following the directions on your paint can. Use 1-2 coats, waiting 10 minutes or more in between.
5. Let the paint dry for several hours.
6. Carefully remove all the hearts to reveal the clear glass. Be careful not to scratch off the paint.
7. Hand wash the jar to remove any paint residue on the inside.
8. Fill with treats!
When you go shopping for your supplies always remember to check your local craft store for coupons. Skip buying spray paint at a craft store though and head to a home improvement store instead for cheaper options and more variety.
For more from Jessica and Luna visit BeaglesandBargains.com.
Aly and Victoria discuss how you can make your dog feel more comfortable during the holidays. Whether your dog is shy of people or...
In this podcast, Victoria and Aly share great ideas on how to provide enrichment for your dog when it’s cold outside. Aly shares...
Victoria is joined by Victoria Stilwell Academy's Curriculum Manager, Aly Lecznar, to talk about VSA's newly-launched Online Dog...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- Do What You Love
- Why ‘Dominance’ Shouldn’t Be a...
- Isn’t It Amazing?
- Letter From The Dog
- VSA’s First UK Course Is Complete. Who’s Next...