Successful housetraining is one of the first things parents of a new puppy need to accomplish, and even though the process can be time-consuming, it does not have to be daunting. With a combination of consistency, common sense, and positive reinforcement protocols, you can quickly train any puppy to toilet appropriately.
There are a number of ways to toilet train a dog successfully, so your choice really depends upon the type of environment in which you live.
People in urban living situations with no yard tend to 'paper train' their puppies until the pups have had all their vaccinations at approximately sixteen weeks old. When it is safe for the puppy to be outside, they make the transition between paper training inside and toileting outside.
Those in suburban or rural environments with yards or a safe outside area might use a combination of training pads and outside toileting. Still others with regular access to the outdoors may skip pads altogether and take their pups straight outside. How to Paper Train your puppy.
Crate training is a popular way of encouraging puppies to hold themselves for longer periods of time and keeps puppies safe when unsupervised. If you use the crate correctly, it will become a safe space for your puppy as well as a highly effective toilet training tool. How to Crate Train your puppy.
Regardless of which method you use to housetrain your puppy, remain especially vigilant and prepared for a pup to eliminate at the following times:
- Immediately after meals
- After training sessions
- Shortly after waking
- After vigorous play
- During or after a stressful event
- When overly excited
What Not to Do:
- Never scold a pup or adult dog for toileting inappropriately and never rub his nose in or near his mess. Dogs do NOT toilet inappropriately out of spite. You will only cause your dog to fear you and toilet in secret or when you are out of sight.
- Leaving poorly housetrained puppies or dogs in the home unsupervised sets them up to fail unless they are in a safe area.
- When and Why To Train Your Puppy
- Top 10 Things to Teach Your Dog
- Victoria's Interview with Dr. Sophin Yin - Part 1
What is e-learning, and what should you look for in an online course? Victoria and Aly break it all down here.
Victoria visits Dr. Duffy Jones to talk through safety tips, the latest on the virus’ effect on our pets, and best practices for...
What’s the secret to staying engaged, productive and efficient when working or learning from home in the age of social...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- Dog Behaviour Conference Now A Global Online Event
- “Director’s Cut” It’s Me...
- Should We Even Talk To ‘The Other...
- It’s Me or the Dog Free on YouTube!
- Do What You Love