Interestingly, some dogs appear to watch and bite at imaginary flies in front of their faces – a behavior particularly prevalent among German Shepherds and Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. There are a number of suspected causes for this behavior, including partial epileptic seizures, hallucinations, and, in Cavaliers, a devastating disease called syringomyelia.
How Can I Stop My Dog from Air Snapping?
- Dogs exhibiting this behavior should be fully examined by a veterinarian to rule out any medical causes.
- If the behavior is not caused by a medical condition, the behavior could be a compulsion.
- Some cases can be solved with behavioral therapy and an increase in exercise, while more severe behavioral cases may require the aid of medication.
- Talk to your veterinarian or a veterinary behaviorist.
Obedience training has long been the accepted path to teaching dogs’ manners, but the concept of obedience might be doing dogs a...
What is Free Work and how do dogs benefit? Dog behaviour expert Sarah Fisher joins Holly and Victoria to discuss how Free Work is...
After a second ‘nipping’ incident in the White House, Victoria is joined by Veterinary Behaviorist Sarah Heath to discuss why...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- 2021 Dog Behavior Conference Announced
- Why I’m Not a Purely Positive Dog Trainer
- Becoming a Dog Trainer
- Social Bullying
- Does Your Dog Respect You?