You may have seen a sad commercial on TV or walked the aisles of an animal shelter and thought, “I wish I could save them all!”
We've all been there, but fortunately, you do not have to 'save them all' to make a huge impact.
Rescue dogs are often prime examples of a dog’s ability to persevere and bounce back from even the most tragic of situations. Most rescue dogs are sweet, loving, and have nothing 'wrong' with them except being dealt an unfortunate card.
While some dogs are surrendered to shelters because of behavior problems, other common reasons dogs are abandoned in shelters include:
- Person cannot afford to feed or care for the dog
- The person is moving and cannot/will not bring the dog with them
- The resident dog, cat, or baby is not getting along with the dog
- The person received the dog as a gift and was not prepared for the responsibility
It's a fact: rescue dogs can make incredible pets, and many will come to you with little to no behavioral issues. However, it is important to understand that any dog will have an adjustment period when coming into your home. If you are going to adopt a dog, it is a great idea to find a qualified trainer in your area to help you and your new dog adjust to each other.
With so many dogs needing homes, consider visiting your local shelter or reaching out to a local rescue group before going to a breeder.
The best thing you can do to help stop pet overpopulation is to have your dogs spayed and neutered. Talk to your vet about the best time to get your dog altered, and do not contribute to pet overpopulation by breeding your dog.
Season 6 ends with a bang as Holly and Victoria reveal two brand new releases that listeners will be able to enjoy.
Victoria and Holly chat about the Victoria Stilwell Academy and the latest news from the program. They also answer your most...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- Why I’m Not (and never have been) a Purely...
- Why I Love VSA
- Introducing the Newly-Redesigned Positively...
- After Losing K-9 Partner to Cancer, Police Officer...
- Police K-9 Officer Surprises Local Neighborhood...