Lab pup peeing as he walks

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Becky10

Lab pup peeing as he walks

Post by Becky10 »

I have a 17 week old Golden/lLab mix pup. He has begun peeing while he is walking. He still goes normally too tho. I have seen other Labs/Lab mixes doing this too. They are both over a year old. They did not come from the same place either, both were rescued dogs. My dog came from a breeder, yes, he was intentionally bred. She breeds them as search and rescue dogs. Is this something with the breed or is this a medical issue?

Thanks,
Becky
Nettle

Re: Lab pup peeing as he walks

Post by Nettle »

I think a vet check would be useful in case he has a UTI.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Becky10

Post by Becky10 »

Went to the vet today. She said it could be so many things. Checked lots of stuff, no uti, no prostate issue, not diabetic, etc. She said he may need more water to drink and to hold all treats for a week to see if things improve. Many dog treats have ALOT of sodium in them. I always buy high quality, natural treats but the packages don't list things like soduim content so....IDK. Also she thought it may help when he is neutered.

Thanks!
Becky
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Is he marking while he walks--lifting his leg up and peeing on a tee or certain spot? Is this what you mean by peeing when he walks?
Becky10

Post by Becky10 »

No, he is still squatting to potty. He will potty a little and then just start walking away while he's still going. It dribbles out as he's walking around but he does not dribble any ohter time. His crate pad is dry, etc. This only occurs right after he potties. Strange isn't it?

Becky
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Could you take him to another vet for a second opinion?
It doesn't sound right :?
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

And please don't get him neutered until the issue is solved - and he has grown up properly. Neutering certainly won't solve a urinary issue, and it's very odd that your vet suggested it might.

I hope you can get this sorted too - it doesn't sound right. Did your vet test a urine sample?

Becky10

Post by Becky10 »

The vet said he could be having an inflammatory prob with his prostate. At his age it could be fluctuating from day to day, i.e. swollen one day but not the next. I really don't believe this is the problem. He does seem to be doing better today tho. I have increased the amount of water I'm giving him and cut out the treats. She explained that too much salt in a puppy's diet could irritate the lining of the bladder making him feel a burning sensation, much like an infection, thus making him a bit incontinant. She thought he wasn't getting enough to drink either causing a concentrated urine, loaded with salt from treats. She tested his urine twice, did a prostate exam, felt his abdomen, asked lots of questions, etc. If he continues to have a problem I will most certainly take him elsewhere for another opionion.

She also said it is very rare to see a pup this young with diabetes.

Thaknks for the input everyone!
Becky
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Please would you explain about him having water? Does he not have access to water all the time, or have I misunderstood?

Becky10

Post by Becky10 »

I'm home all day but was only using one bowl of water for both my dogs. I have an adult dog who must be getting much more than the puppy. I was refilling it as soon as they emptied it but now I'm using two bowls, in separate areas, and trying to keep them out of each others water. Not easy to do.

Becky
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

In our tiny, 2 bedroom apartment & very small yard I have three HUGE waterbowls for 2 small dogs. :wink:

I don't think you'll be able to learn them not to use each other's waterbowls. Rather make sure the bowls are BIG, or put even more bowls down if necessary. I have one upstairs, one downstairs and one outside.

I never wait untill it's empty before I fill it up. I replace the old water with fresh water daily, and will fill up a bowl if I walk past it and it's not full anymore (which never happens, bc I have the 3 huge bowls).
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes, don't fret about separate bowls, simply refill as soon as you see the level has gone down.