Question about a dog's sex drive

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kelleyanne1988

Question about a dog's sex drive

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

We go walking every night for at least 30 minutes to an hour. Usually it's just my two boys and a friend's dog (female collie/lab). Her dog is spayed. Today Bear was just about going crazy over her. She was walking in front of us most of the time and he continued to go to her butt and sniff (MORE than normal!). Tried mounting her twice. And when she was walking behind us he kept trying to turn around and go towards her instead of going forward.

Do females still send out something to attract males after they are fixed?
Have an Amazing Day,
Kelley Anne, Gunner, and Bear
kelleyanne1988

Re: Question about a dog's sex drive

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

Sorry computer messed up and it posted this topic twice.
Have an Amazing Day,
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

He's an adolescent, and just found out it isn't for stirring his tea with. He is now exploring when a female may or may not be receptive. Some dogs are less mannerly than others about this. Usually the ***** wil tell them off sharply. Did she?

Sometimes a ***** may be on medication that makes her smell odd, or else have an illness that makes her smell different. Dogs then test to see if this means "weak" which is probably what the mounting behaviour is about, rather than being sexual. Even blocked anal glands may produce this reaction.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

damn those asterisks. I mean female dog :roll: the board obviously finds the word unacceptable.

kelleyanne1988

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

she turned around once to make him fall off but that was it. was never very sharp about anything
Have an Amazing Day,
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Then it's up to you to make it clear to him that this behaviour isn't wanted. You do this by watching him and when he starts to push at the ladydog :roll: because I can't use the proper word, put his lead on and take him away from her. After two minutes, release him again, and as soon as he starts to pester, remove him again. Don't bother to use words because he won't be listening and he won't understand. Be unemotional and calm, just leash him up and take him a few yards away.

Be persistent and be timely. Remove him before he gets to the pitch of mounting.

By taking him away, you are taking away the reward. If he wants to be offlead, he does not mount.

kelleyanne1988

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

alrighty. that's what I was doin when we were walking. ill have to watch them when their off leash though and do it then as well.
Have an Amazing Day,
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

Even an altered male will try to mount a female and can sometimes tie with her. An altered male can still react to a female in heat even if he is shooting blanks and hopefully he does not have one loan active swimmer left over. Mostly when this happens it is not about mating, it's about dominance. Tre' tries this with his mother, he is altered and she gives him a nasty nip and puts him in his place. Kai, if Tre' gets out of line will "hump" him into submission, Kai is his father. It could be your altered male is just reacting to the female coming into heat, nice way of letting you know "it's on it's way" Most females when not receptive will sit down. If she is receptive she will stand there and **** her tail aside.

Tre' was born butt first, his big head got stuck and suffered a little oxygene deprivation so he has a little doggy CP. He sometimes does what I call "air humping" just starts humping nothing.
The best days are spent with my dogs.