LOUD LONELY BEAGLE WITH SEPARATION ANXIETY

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Laura&Mark

LOUD LONELY BEAGLE WITH SEPARATION ANXIETY

Post by Laura&Mark »

Hi, my boyfriend Mark and I have a 6 month old beagle named Luda. Ever since we can remember, he's had very bad separation anxiety. Whether we crate him, or give block him off to have the whole kitchen while we're gone, he is howling and baying like crazy the minute we leave, until the second we're back- sometimes up to 3 hours straight! He's so loud, we can hear him down the hall, and I'm worried he's bugging our neighbors and we'll soon be getting complaints :(

When he's in the crate or in the kitchen, i make sure he's got food, water, toys, and even a nice cold frozen kong with peanut butter, treats, and kibble inside, and when I come back, he hasn't touched any of it! He just bays and howls the entire time. We really need to fix this because we are getting a roommate soon, and we don't want him to annoy her.

He finds no interest in any food bribes or treats whatsoever.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I just finished reading I'll Be Home Soon and it sounds like it'll help you:

http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=dtb667

Other than that, I don't know what to say - beagles are hunting dogs so he should be getting enough physical and mental stimulation, activities like tracking that use his nose, etc., in order for his instincts to be satisfied and will probably help a lot. Others will chime in here but that's what I can contribute to start.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

My beagle is okay when we leave him alone with the other two, but if we have to crate them up (the older boys get the kitchen and Bru gets the bedroom) he has a fit. He really doesn't like to be on his own. He doesn't like to be outside by himself either. I think part of it is that beagles just like to be with other dogs/people.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

This is why I encourage people to research a breed's original purpose before they get a dog.

Beagles have been bred since time immemorial to live in packs, to hunt by scent and to bay loudly.

This is what they do. You can take the hound out of the pack but you can't take the pack out of the hound.

Sometimes a second dog helps, and sometimes you get two making a noise instead of one. Next door to my sister live three beagles that bark and howl for hour after hour all the time their owners are out. But these dogs get no exercise or stimulus.

As a halfway house, I'd suggest a very long walk in the morning with plenty of scenting games and, if he is sociable, the chance to interact with other dogs, then leave him with his breakfast stuffed into a kong, the radio on, a DAP diffuser, and plenty of safe things to play with eg cardboard boxes, a cabbage, a raw meaty bone.

SA is very hard to cure, but tired dogs make less noise.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Laura&Mark

Post by Laura&Mark »

We do definitely give him enough exercise and stimulation. He is very sociable with other dogs in the complex and has daily play times with them when they all meet in the pet courtyard for potty times. I leave him either in the kitchen or crate and give him lots of toys and chewy treats to work on , including a kong with different stuffings each time.

I'm hoping it's not JUST a beagle thing and we'll never get rid of the habit. :(
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

How much exercise and stimulation do you give him?

Everyone has a different idea of what is enough but breeds differ in what their needs are. Collies need lots and lots of exercise, St Bernards don't need a lot. Greyhounds prefer a comfy sofa as long as they can have the odd off lead run.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]