Clueless owners

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Banjo208

Clueless owners

Post by Banjo208 »

Overall, it seems that most of the problems come from good intentioned owners who fall in love with a puppy, but don't have any idea what to do next.

I think that this show helps everyone to understand the relationship betwween dog and owner. Actually I hate the word "owner" when it comes to animals. To me, they are beings who cohabit with us.

Anyway, I love the show and I love the way Victoria tells it like it is.
Cracker

Post by Cracker »

I agree Banjo. There are very few truly bad dogs in the world...aside from genetically skewed dogs almost all dogs with issues are either dealing with undiagnosed health issues (like aggressive dogs with undiagnosed/untreated hypothyroidism) or are dogs with clueless owners. Many well intentioned owners love their dogs but dont' know how to guide them properly to live in our crazy society properly or they are people who (still ostensibly) love their dogs but overcontrol them through the wrong methods.

Shows like IMOTD can help with this, infact even some of the other shows can help in some ways. The more people (the "average" dog owner) learns about dog behaviour, learning theory and how to fix the issues that they themselves have created, the happier and more well behaved dogs will become, and then they will be the norm instead of the rarity.
Maggi Burtt
Tailspin Petworx

[img]http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/tailspinpetworx/Picture010-1.jpg[/img]
CenCalDan

Post by CenCalDan »

As far as "clueless owners" go, the guy who actually encouraged his dogs to drink out of the toilet took that cake. I can only hope those dogs have since been broken of that habit.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

S'called in the computer-geek world... 'user error'.

Sometimes thats because people have been given misinformation (ie 'dogs want to be dominant over you so you must make sure you dominate them first')... sometimes people are in too deep and cant see the wood for the trees.. sometimes people just have put no thought beyond 'i want it, ill have it' when buying a pup.

Lots more permutations of these reasons, but most of dog training is people training and learning how dogs think and learn, ie dog behaviour.

What frequently astounds me is people who are seemingly not interested in how their dogs think or learn. Baffles me completely, but then I am a dog geek.. and not everyone is or needs to be.

Being clueless is no crime though - we are all clueless about somethings at one point or another - im clueless about vehicle mechanics...(and yes i own a vehicle!)...

Its the desire and willingness to learn thats important, sometimes that requires a person hearing things they may not like to hear, and changing something about their 'way of going' either mentally or physically. Thats a difficult thing to do and I applaud anyone who takes it on and does it, no matter who they are.

On the flip side of that... disinterest and refusal to learn or change whilst demanding some sort of magic fix - that drives me mad!
CenCalDan

Post by CenCalDan »

emmabeth wrote: Being clueless is no crime though - we are all clueless about somethings at one point or another - im clueless about vehicle mechanics...(and yes i own a vehicle!)...

Its the desire and willingness to learn thats important, sometimes that requires a person hearing things they may not like to hear, and changing something about their 'way of going' either mentally or physically. Thats a difficult thing to do and I applaud anyone who takes it on and does it, no matter who they are.

On the flip side of that... disinterest and refusal to learn or change whilst demanding some sort of magic fix - that drives me mad!
Fortunately for me (and my girlfriend), I'm not clueless about automotive mechanics. Aircraft mechanics are a little more challenging to me, but I find cooking terribly daunting. If you took the nuker away from me, I'd be all but unable to prepare a hot meal.

Point is, I agree; we are all clueless about something or other. And after having read your post, I believe the dogs who were encouraged to drink from the toilet were victims of a willfully ignorant owner.