Dog on dog attacks?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Theo400

Dog on dog attacks?

Post by Theo400 »

Hi all

I really need some advice. ( I'm not sure if this is the right area of the forum to post this so here goes)

I wanted to ask about dog on dog attacks as in my local paper there was an article about a bullmastiff who has attacked 4 dogs in the last 2 weeks. I don't want buddy ( my Labrador) to get attacked and am worried of walking him.

I really want to ask what do I do if he does get attacked do I just wait until it's over or do I pull the dog of him? What is the best way to deal with this situation if your dog is being attacked by another dog?

Also why do certain dogs attack , why do they run up and just grab another dog?

Apparently the police don't have enough proof to seize the dog :roll: . According to the paper the dog lives 10mins from me which is why I'm so worried and want to know what to do if this happens. He attacked a corgi and a shih tzu that both died, a Rottweiler and Golden Retriever that are seriously injured and are recovering in vet hospital.

Please help? I feel if I knew how to help buddy then I might be more calm about his walks.
Nettle

Re: Dog on dog attacks?

Post by Nettle »

The way to deal with it is not to let it get that far. Avoid avoid avoid. If you see a dog that you think will pose a risk, take whatever steps are necessary to move away and out of its sight. This means keeping your wits about you all the time you are walking.

If a fight breaks out between dogs, it is an expert's job safely to break it up. So commit to never letting it get to that stage. If you think a risky dog is in your area, walk somewhere else.

Why do dogs attack other dogs? Same reasons people attack other people. It's a part, albeit an unwanted one, of animal behaviour.

And don't believe all you read in the papers - there will be more to this, you can bet.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I hear what you're saying Nettle, but what if it happens suddenly? What are we to do? About five years ago, my friend in an adjoining neighborhood was walking her dog when a kid a couple houses down opened the front door and out came a pittie, straight for her dog. There was no avoiding that day. (Turned out the dog belonged to friends who were visiting at that house that day, so not a known quantity in the neighborhood.) She almost lost her dog, but a skilled vet, lots of time and tons of money later, her dog mostly recovered. But it still comes down to, what to do in those situations where avoiding has been denied, it just happens too suddenly?

I am guessing there is no safe way for the average owner to break up an altercation like that where one dog seriously means business. But are there any options at all?
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
master2

Post by master2 »

I agree with Suzette what are we supposed to do if it happens suddenly. My dogs were attacked when we were walking down our road to go home when a border collie ran out of a house were the door had been left open. I had no idea the dog was there and we were
All shocked when the dog jumped out like that. Then on another occasion were me and my boys were walking in town there was a dog off leash across the road I was watching the dog as I was about to turn round so the dog would not of seen us but he looked up and started running towards us and attacked both dogs I had no time to do anything as is happens so quickly. I suffers a bite to the leg even though I did not get involved as I did not no what to do.

I think sometimes there is nothing that can be done as the dog could just run over and that's it done.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes there will be times when a dog rushes out of a door or gate and you have to act quickly. Get in front of your dog, eyeball the approaching dog, make big body language and ROAR at it in as deep a voice as you can. Most dogs will stop dead if you say "SIT" with huge authority. Back off and create space between that dog and you, still eyeballing and projecting power. Mostly the attack is territorial and once you are far enough away, the dog will stop. Sometimes even that won't help, but these situations are rare, whereas the offlead dog rushing at yours during a walk is pretty common. If the worst happens do not get your hands in the way - so many people have had their hands destroyed through being caught in the crossfire.

Having said that, no two fights are the same, and really it is far better to avoid those places where you are likely to be rushed by a loose dog.

If an attack is under way, do not vocalise because that winds the dogs up further.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I read a thread on this topic on another forum recently. Suggestions were:

- throw water over the attacking dog's head
- throw a coat over them
- smack hard on the nose
- blow in their ear
- finger up the bum :shock:
- grab collar & twist (or put stick through collar & twist)
- pepper spray (sold in Pets@Home to go in spray collars, not the sort the police use)
- grab back legs & pull.

None of these are guaranteed to work, though, and there is a very good chance of getting seriously injured - one person in the thread who rescued her dog from an attack ended up in hospital with 30+ stitches. So the 'sensible' advice is not to intervene.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

For what it's worth...
During such incidents I usually worry more about the other dog than about my boy.
So my technique - I have to admit finetued to almost perfection with lots of practice during earlier years :oops:
1 - Ari always wears harness when out (50 ft long leash)
2 - when confrontation is eminent, I step right between them, grab Ari by this harness on both sides and lift his front up, so he is standing on his rear legs.
3 - while he is in this position, I can rotate him, so I rotate him in such a way that he is on the other of me from the other dog
4 - this dance continues until the other owner gets over the initial shock, grabs his own dog, and pulls him away.

I usually end up with scratches and bruises....but both dogs usually come out unharmed.

Avoidance and prevention is the key, of course. But when they fail, this is my action plan.

I remember one such incident when the other owner was quite a distance away, and the dog just keep coming, so the lady was screaming "kick him!" as she was running over, but for the life of me I couldn't... Just kept my self between them, and all ended well.

Judy, I have never tried any of those suggestions... But my gut feel is that this is a joke, except perhaps throwing a coat. The rest are likely to get you injured (IMHO)
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Ari_RR wrote:The rest are likely to get you injured (IMHO)
Yes, that's what I said in my post :wink: It also depends, of course, on the size of the dogs. If they were both small I'd be more likely to risk injury for the sake of a dog than if they were large. That still doesn't mean that one should risk injury.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Thanks Nettle, Judy & Ari. All good things to consider if I ever find myself in that position. Some of them I now remember from earlier posts that had escaped my memory, some are new things to consider.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

This actually happened to my parents older dog, Jack. He was on lead on the pavement, and a staffy rushing out of a house and locked onto his neck/shoulder area very, very suddenly. Tore his shoulder muscle and it took four people to remove the attacking staffy.

It was a trauma for all involved. Luckily, after great expense, and a lot of recovery time, Jack made a full recovery. The staffy had been stolen four years before, and abused, and was reclaimed by the original owners, with warnings and advice from the dog warden about his dog aggression since being stolen.

My advice is to practice situational awareness at all times. I'm wary of dogs I don't know now, especially in an area like where my folks live, which has...lets say... not always the most committed loving dog owners? Lots of status symbol dogs. I carefully watch dogs I don't know, put mine on lead and stay near an exit if I'm concerned, and leave if it's a dog I know isn't good with other dogs or may be aggressive.

Witnessing another dog attack in a local park, a friend of mine, thinking fast, lifted her labradoodle over a small fence that separated the childrens play area from the field the aggressor dog was charging across towards us. Genius! She thought fast, and her dog was out of danger and contained. So on walks, I keep an eye for fenced/enclosed yards where I might be able to separate my dogs from an aggressor.

Getting to know other dog walkers in your area helps too. If your dogs get along and aren't reactive of course. I've learned about some dogs to avoid through regulars on certain walks. Also heard about the update on the park attack where my friend put her labradoodle over the fence- that dog attacked another dog during that incident, which luckily wasn't too badly hurt. But the owners of that dog eventually had both their dogs seized for being out of control or something. They escaped regularly, and had attacked before.

Nettle's VoD advice also really works. I've used it, when needed, and it has worked for me. I've also been less professional and calm under pressure, and yelled at a woman to get her damn dog when her husky was far too persistent in trying to get at my two, and his hackles had gone up. Other dog walkers helped me form a body block, and she came and got her dog! :oops:

I always carry my mobile phone, charged, when on a walk. I have the vets, emergency vets number, taxi and local friends with cars numbers programmed in, in case the worst happened and I needed transport. A tennis ball thrower makes it easier to play fetch, but also works as an arm extender/blocker and potential defensive weapon. loads of treats, because treat bombs can be a great distraction while you get you the heck outta there, and use the situational awareness. A belt, scarf, or shoulder loop from a handbag or rucksack can work as an improvised collar/lead for a stray dog, or one you've separated from your own.

You can do all of those things, and the worst can happen. I'm lucky I guess that my dog survived... so it wasn't the worst thing that could happen. But it was truly awful that our sweet, innocent spaniel was badly hurt, and we couldn't prevent it. All we could do was give him the best vet treatment possible, love on him and support his recovery, and make many calls to the dog warden. A dog on dog attack with no humans hurt, in the UK, is viewed as a civil matter, rather than a criminal one.

So you do whatever you can to avoid before it reaches that point. If the worst happens, you do what you can in the moment, and you get through it.
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Theo, you drive, don't you? Maybe drive Buddy to a nice walking spot a bit further away in the meantime, until you know more. You'll probably feel better knowing you're in a different neighbourhood, and Buddy will get to see some different places :D

It doesn't hurt to get the phone number of your local dog warden, explain your concerns after reading this article, and ask what's being done. I got to know mine quite well after Jack's attack, she was very helpful.
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Scarletsci -. Why didn't I think of that :wink: yes I do drive. I just haven't been able to think straight with worrying. I'm going to contact my local dog warden and see what there doing about the dog.

Well I saw the said bullmastiff yesterday thankfully I had already walked buddy and I was looking out my window as I heard a load of commotion going on outside. The bullmastiff had hold of a Cocker Spaniel it was awful the screams of the Cocker were awful.

I have written down all the advice that you all have given me. And shall keep you all updated with how it goes with the dog warden and I shall walk buddy in a safer area.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

that sounds horrifying. never have i been so glad i live in the country! :shock:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Theo400 wrote:Scarletsci -. Why didn't I think of that :wink: yes I do drive. I just haven't been able to think straight with worrying. I'm going to contact my local dog warden and see what there doing about the dog.

Well I saw the said bullmastiff yesterday thankfully I had already walked buddy and I was looking out my window as I heard a load of commotion going on outside. The bullmastiff had hold of a Cocker Spaniel it was awful the screams of the Cocker were awful.

I have written down all the advice that you all have given me. And shall keep you all updated with how it goes with the dog warden and I shall walk buddy in a safer area.
I'm really glad I could help :D and yes, thinking straight when you're so worried can be very hard, you're not alone there! Sometimes the simpliest solution doesn't occur to you at the time, that's why these forums are so great :D

I'm so sorry you witnessed that, a dog screaming is one of the most bone-chilling and distressing sounds in the world. I hope the Cocker recovers :( In your shoes, especially having seen the dog in action yourself, I would be driving a good five miles or more away for walks. Good luck, please update when you can! xx
carrie_02

Post by carrie_02 »

I'm interested in the advice here to roar at the dog, hold eye contact, and look threatening. I had always heard that the "be a tree" method, where you avoid eye contact, moving, and other threatening behaviors was the least risky. Do you guys disagree with that, or is your differing advice just meant to be used when you have a dog with you?
Would you ever use the Be a Tree method? Thoughts? Thanks!