Helping disabled owners train their dog?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

OnceInAWeil

Helping disabled owners train their dog?

Post by OnceInAWeil »

My first official clients ever are both disabled. The man, E, is in a motorized wheelchair. The woman, L, can walk but is somewhat unstable on her feet, and uses a motorized scooter when she tries to walk the dog, Zoey (a doxie/mystery terrier mix). They both have very limited use of their hands. E is left-handed and can use it pretty well, but has to use it to steer his chair. His other hand can barely manage to pick up treats. L has a lot more use of her hands, but the fingers are somewhat stiff and so specific gestures are a challenge for her. Both E and L also have speech difficulties. They can communicate effectively with people, but it takes them a little longer than normal to get the words out and sometimes the words are not very clear. It is nearly impossible for them to praise Zoey the instant that she performs a cue.

Zoey is a little over a year old and has typical puppy problems--inappropriate chewing, nipping, jumping up/whining/barking for attention, and pulling on lead. She can easily pull E's chair and L's scooter to the side. Right now, the exercise and other stimulation that she gets is very minimal. Thankfully, she is potty-trained.

Because of E's and L's hand and vocal impairments, I am at a loss for how to help them without completely training Zoey myself (which would be impossible for the nipping/chewing/jumping unless I were to board and train her--which I don't like to do because of owner/dog bonding--and even then she might just go back to her old ways once back home).

So far I have told them the basics for her problem behaviors--turning and ignoring jumping/whining/barking, reinforcing alternate behaviors, having toys on-hand, etc. I also told them to get a front-attaching harness to walk her in. I am going to suggest that they hire a dog walker, but am not sure if they can afford one regularly.

The couple loves Zoey very much, but they are at their wits' end. I really want to help them, but don't know if they will be able to do homework themselves. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Ari_RR

Re: Helping disabled owners train their dog?

Post by Ari_RR »

This is your very first official case? :shock: wow! I guess no baby steps, eh? Ok!

I would take a broader look, to be honest. What's the real goal here - make the couple happy. Is it realistic to expect that they will be able to really keep up with the puppy?

So, my 2 cents - if these guys have a sense of humor, don't aim for perfection, and don't take things too seriously - great, God bless them, follow through.
But if they are a very serious couple, no tolerance for mess or disorder, who would be very upset if the puppy has accidents inside the house or chews someone's sandals - they may be better off with a cat.

I found mobility a required ingredient in keeping the place clean with a puppy - putting things away, making sure you know where he is and what he is doing.. (don't you get those moments when it's all of a sudden too quiet.. Where is the dog?!?! And then you stop what you are doing and listen... and hear the chewing sound... and realize Oh Sh.t!!, I left my shoes out!!)

So - either they have to keep up with the puppy, or be super cool and accept that every now and then they will have to clean up things, loose things, and not just accept it but find a way to laugh and enjoy those moments too.. Then it can work!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I would focus on getting them to exercise her properly - so get the front fix harness and help them get their dog used to wearing it and go out with them a few times to walk her.

This should reduce the occurrence of the other problems quite dramatically.

I would see if you can get them large sized easy to use clickers - and teach Zoey what the clicker means. Then hopefully they may be quicker to click than they are to speak - obviously they do need the timing with the clicker but it is generally easier to click than speak anyway. For E it may be possible to find a clicker you can fix to the arm of his chair in a place where he can hit it easily but not by accident.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
OnceInAWeil

Post by OnceInAWeil »

I should mention that they've had her about 7 months now. They are definitely willing to work on her issues, and are good-natured about her being a puppy and just learning. It is just that they have been living with them for so long that at this point they're like, "HELP".

I did try to start them on the clicker, but their timing is very off. Zoey was already starting to learn what it means. I will look into larger, easier-to-click ones, thanks.

I told them that physical and mental stimulation would do wonders for Zoey's other problems, so now it is just a matter of helping them to teach her to walk properly. Because E is always in the chair and L has to use her scooter so she won't be pulled over, it's a bit difficult for them to turn around and go in the other direction when she starts pulling. I was thinking I could walk along and treat her for staying next to the scooter? And maybe L can ride next to E and drop treats for him when I can't be there.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Not sure how applicable this can be in your case... but let me throw this out there anyway.

imagine 2 people, stationary at a distance from each other.
There is a rope between them, each one is holding one end of the rope.
On the rope there is a leash (the rope goes through the loop-handle of the leash, so the leash can slide from one side to the other)
On the other side of the leash is the dog.

The game is:
1st one human calls the dog - the dog runs up, gets treats etc.
Then 2nd human calls the dog - the dog runs up to the other side, gets treats etc
1st human calls the dog
2nd human calls the dog
Etc..

Variations can follow.. like instead of 2nd human calling the dog, 1st human sending the dog out ("Where is Mommy? Go find Mommy?" kind of thing)
More variations can follow.. like 1 st human sending the dog to the 2nd on and in the middle calling the dog back ("emergency recall").
Etc..

This way 2 humans can exercise a dog both mentally and physically, and train recall, without essentially moving at all, and having the dog on leash on rope prevents the dog from running away. (Of course, if the 2 people can find a secure fenced-in area, neither leash nor rope is needed)
OnceInAWeil

Post by OnceInAWeil »

That is a great idea! I will definitely try that with them, thanks.
gwd

Post by gwd »

emmabeth wrote:I would see if you can get them large sized easy to use clickers -
a friend of mine got one of the staples easy buttons to use for her dogs. she didn't use it as a clicker but rather something she taught her dogs to push (just a brain game)

the size might be perfect as .....it's not a click but the computerized voice says 'that was easy'
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Ari_RR wrote:This is your very first official case? :shock: wow! I guess no baby steps, eh? Ok!
where is the fun in "baby steps" :lol: besides, as long as we are willing to admit when we are over our heads and seek help, the hard ones are how we learn.

OnceInAWeil, not a whole lot to add except, you are for sure going to be challenged on this one to think out side the box, be creative.

One thing I would encourage you might consider doing is doing some of the initial training for your clients your self, and then transfer things over to them in the early stages. I realize this isn't typically how we go about things, normally you train the owners to train their dogs. But in this case there is going to be some value in you trying out methods first, then when you find something that looks like they can do given their limitations, have the foundation in place and early on in the process transfer things over to them.
OnceInAWeil

Post by OnceInAWeil »

jacksdad wrote:
One thing I would encourage you might consider doing is doing some of the initial training for your clients your self, and then transfer things over to them in the early stages. I realize this isn't typically how we go about things, normally you train the owners to train their dogs. But in this case there is going to be some value in you trying out methods first, then when you find something that looks like they can do given their limitations, have the foundation in place and early on in the process transfer things over to them.
Yeah, I definitely plan on doing some of the initial training myself.

Keep the suggestions coming, guys. You've all been very helpful.
OnceInAWeil

Post by OnceInAWeil »

This time we really focused on walking and mental stimulation. I tried the leash on a rope suggestion, Ari, and it worked wonderfully. They can't put a lot of excited enunciation and speed into their calls, but Zoey was going back and forth between them to earn her treats. :D She also stayed at their respective sides pretty well, I was pleasantly surprised. We worked on them turning in the other direction as soon as she started to forge ahead, and they did really well with turning at the right moment.

Showed them some puzzle toys, how to stuff a toy with peanut butter and freeze, and really stressed the importance of walks at different times of the day, playtime between walks, and keeping stuffed animals on-hand for when she is getting frisky and might nip (and the importance of engaging her in play BEFORE she decides to nip). Zoey was laying on the floor by the end of the hour, when she had started out trying to jump, bark and whine for attention.

One thing L mentioned was that Zoey does get walked every day, usually for about 45 minutes. She said that when they get back to the apartment, though, Zoey is still very hyper and excited. I said to spread her walks out and add in more mental stimulation and playtime, but is there anything else I should be suggesting?
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Whua!! Isn't progress stimulating and motivating for everyone!! Awesome!

Heather, great job!

Hey, here is a business suggestion for you - perhaps you can develop a specialty?

There may be more than a few trainers around... but how many can claim specializing in helping disabled owners? That can set you apart from everyone else....

Good luck! You'll do really well, I can see that.
gwd

Post by gwd »

OnceInAWeil wrote:more mental stimulation
believe it or not, that is the one thing that really tires my dogs out even more than an hour plus romp. a hard 15 min of learning something new (not just working on things they know) will have them crashed out for most of the afternoon.
OnceInAWeil

Post by OnceInAWeil »

Thank you for the kind words. :D

I keep emphasizing playtime, mental stimulation and walks...this week, E and his assistant that comes over when L is at work told me that when E is home alone with Zoey (which is often), Zoey has the tendency of jumping up and nipping at his hands. E has a hard time controlling his body when he is startled (and doesn't have very much control as it is) so it is hard for him to hold his hands away or remove himself from the room. I told him to try to keep toys that she likes nearby at all times, as well as treats. It takes him several seconds to pick up a toy for her, though, and while I told him to be ready the moment he notices her getting excited, I don't know if he would remember while on his own. I am going to call tonight and go over the instructions with L. I also told him to engage Zoey in play BEFORE she starts biting, and to get her tired out before they want to settle down and watch a movie or something. I don't know how I can get it through to them that they really need to keep her engaged so that she doesn't look for undesirable ways to amuse herself...
gwd

Post by gwd »

OnceInAWeil wrote: E has a hard time controlling his body when he is startled (and doesn't have very much control as it is) so it is hard for him to hold his hands away or remove himself from the room. I told him to try to keep toys that she likes nearby at all times, ...
does he have the hand strength to hold on to a bully stick? when my babies were bitey i'd hold one and they'd settle on my lap or next to me on the couch and chew. still to this day when the stick gets short and hard to grip with paws, boy dog will bring it to me and have me hold it for him.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Can you attach a tuggy toy to his wheelchair, and try to teach her to target that when she is excited? At least it would be a toy that is easy for him to reach and get hold of quicker than finding one from the floor.

Also maybe suggest some food toys for her daily meals to go in, or one of them at least - something like a buster cube, amaze-a-ball, tug-a-jug, that dry food goes in. If needs be they can be filled in advance by someone else and then given to her by them.

Can they make any noise quickly, even a "ah" with a consistent tone? Clickers can be whatever works, and it may be there is something they can do well enough with the correct timing, but you need to be confident in asking them what that might be - that really needs to come from them, and they might well have a different clicker noise each, not a problem, even if you use an actual clicker as well (my deaf boy has 3 different clickers, a hand signal, a light and a vibe collar, and each is recognised equally).

Just thought, what about investing in a manners minder? Even if you needed to adapt the remote to make it easier to press, should be possible. Then they just have to deal with a button, and not also doling out rewards. Your chap might well be able to do that if he doesn't have to worry about moving his chair at the same time, and your lady should be ok with it from what you have said.