But I don't want to go out...

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

phylkay

But I don't want to go out...

Post by phylkay »

I have a 7 month old long hair miniature dachshund named Cooper. My husband and I have had him for about 5 weeks and I think he's doing pretty well with his training except that he HATES to go out. He's not afraid or cold or anything, but he just doesn't like it out there. We live in a Condo so we are an elevator ride plus several hallways from outside and initially he would just put the brakes on and refuse to budge. We tried treats, cajoling, begging and pleading - all to no avail. Then it was suggested to us that we carry him outside and simply deposit him on the spot where he will make his deposits (pardon the bad joke). This works better. After he has "done his business" we will take him on a short or long walk depending on the time of day.

So...here is the big problem. My husband is disabled and walks with 1 crutch. He is Cooper's main caretaker because I work all day. This is not easy for him but he really wanted a dog (we have always had a dog) and assured me that he could and would be able to handle this. When Eddy (my husband) goes to get Cooper to put on his harness and leash to go out, Cooper will run and hide somewhere that Eddy can't get him. Eddy has tried the above - treats, etc. - but Cooper will not come out. This has turned into quite a struggle between them and my poor husband is worn out and truly believes that Cooper just doesn't like him very much. I seem to have a much easier time with Cooper but I think it's because I just grab him before he has a chance to run. He's a great little dog in every respect but we do not know how to handle this at all. I hope someone can help.
ondabit49

Re: But I don't want to go out...

Post by ondabit49 »

Hi,
I'm wondering if Cooper is just a little too young to have so much expected of him (ride the elevator, walk the halls, etc.). Perhaps for a short term solution you could try one of those indoor simulated grass pads(?)/trays(?). I can't think of what they are. Perhaps letting Cooper potty inside using one of these for a while would work for the immediate time. Then, try putting Cooper on the leash and just walking him around your condo with lots of praise at the appropriate moments. Gradually introducing her to walking on a leash around the condo without being "threatened" by the elevator ride and walking the halls will give her confidence to attempt the other environments.
Let's see what others have to suggest.
Sandy
jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Hi Phylkay,

I'm just wondering if it's the harness or leash that's he's uncomfortable with, rather than the actual walk to get outside. Have you tried allowing him to walk down the hallway without a harness, or even a leash ?

When you carry Cooper outside to toilet, does he then go for a walk quite happily ?
PikiPiki

Post by PikiPiki »

I wouldn't really recommend teaching a dog to use a 'potty patch' or 'puppy pads' or any other indoor solution, unless you plan for that indefinitely. Why train a dog twice? It's a lot more work, and some dogs get confused and don't want to switch to outdoors, making the outdoor training a heck of a lot more difficult than necessary.

I do like what Jake's mom is getting at though, it could be that simple. If he's got great recall, giving him off leash trials might work, but if he's not trustable, I wouldn't chance it, your husband doesn't need the stress of a dog charging off in the opposite direction. Have you tried different harnesses/collars?
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

To get dog from under the bed you will need to teach target training either with your hand or a short stick with a little ball or pom pom on the end. Start by sticking hand or stick near dog's face & when he touches with nose treats & praise. after about 10 successful touches say the word "touch" then slowly start adding distance- a few inches, then a foot, a little more, etc. Do not try to get him from under the bed until the distance is enough. Soon when he hides under bed all hubby will have to do is say 'touch' & dog will come out to touch the hand or stick. voila! It will take time. practice several times a day for 2/3 mts at a time. It will also work to get dog to walk in the hall, etc but first it must be mastered indoors, in all rooms.
In the meantime, hubby should pick dog up first, place him on a table or counter then put on harness or collar to carry out. By getting out leash/harness first, dog has chance to run under the bed. Do the opposite, get the dog first. Just scoop him up. He should also practice putting on leash/harness & not take him out, just let dog walk around house with it on for a short while. That way dog will never know if he is going out or staying in. But always praise treat dog when putting the harness/leash on so its always a positive experience.
The other suggestions about dog just walking in hallway is good too. Keep it short 2/3 mts at a time. i agree not to use potty patch if you really want to walk dog outside which is the best way anyways. So now you have a few ideas on how to solve the problem. Others may offer some more.
GOOD LUCK!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Some great advice and things to think about here.

I will say however, if your dog is refusing to go out to the point he is hiding and the harness and leash coming out is a trigger for that behaviour, he is telling you something loud and clear and you are effectively sticking your fingers in your ears and going 'lalalalala' at him.

He is scared - of exactly what you will probably never know but he does not like it and what other reason would he have not to like it?

So make all stages of it super rewarding, practice all the stuff you can out of sequence too, so harness on, reward, harness off. Leash on , reward, leash off. Harness and leash on to go out the door, reward, come back in again. Etc etc etc - all these things are rewarding and fun to do and if hes too worried to take treats when you get outside your apartment you need to find a way of breaking down that stage so its easier and makeing the rewards more rewarding.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
phylkay

Post by phylkay »

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions. We're going to try a combo of many of them - especially the leash-on -reward! harness-on reward, etc. Cooper is fine in the hall, he really likes it. Whenever a delivery person rings the bell, he loves to go out and greet him in the hall. On his walks: after he goes he wants to go back home right away. He has gotten better with this though since we've learned to "trick" him and take him on walks in different directions. Then he sometimes forgets to worry about where home is and has a nice time. But-whenever we get to the streets near our house (no matter how long the walk - Saturday , I walked him for about 1 1/2 miles) he knows he's going home and totally perks up and prances home like a little show dog. He can actually do this for 2 long city blocks - that's how good his sense of direction is!