i am scared to let my greyhounds off the lead

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Mattie

Post by Mattie »

This happens with all breeds Knitty, not just Greyhounds. I used to have the perfect killing machine when I had Tommy, she was a Lab cross. The speed she killed was incredible and you could never find a mark on the rabbit. It didn't have to be rabbits, anything that ran was enough. I did eventually teach her to recall from a chase, but it took several years.

I have a Greyhound, he has managed to kill a hedgehog and got a cat, both times he was on a short lead, he dived under bushes and brought them out in his mouth. The cat was lucky and she boxed his ears so he let go.

Not everyone has access to a secure field etc to let their Greyhounds off, I don't, but these dogs have been bred to run and they need a good run. I am lucky, my Greyhound won't leave me if I take the lead off or put a training lead on, he is happy on an extending lead attached to a harness and will mooch about then. This is because of the way he was treated when in racing kennels :cry:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

Not sure if this helps but I've found a whistle really useful.

My beagle girl is now starting to explore a little bit further away from me when off lead so I've been keeping a close eye on her to see if she picks up an 'interesting' scent (there be rabbits in them thar fields!).

I've found a whistle makes a much higher louder noise which carries further than my voice - I don't use it very often but the noise seems to break her concentration and she looks up, then sees I'm getting a bit far away and comes running over.

I think it's an unusual noise that she doesn't hear all the time, maybe she'll become used to it but at the moment it seems to be really good at getting her attention.
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

Greyhounds and other sighthounds are every bit as trainable as other breeds of dog. Every breed has its 'if' moments, and some do better with certain methods than others, but greyhounds are not untrainable monsters.

You do have to put the work in and be alert when you go out - no wandering along yapping into the mobile or listening to music - but you should be like that with any dog.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Indeed.

Knitty could I just point out, digging up a thread that is over a year old to have a go at a poster who was seeking advice about how to let their dogs off safely and mentioned an accident, is not really constructive or nice either.
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

oops...hadn't noticed that! :oops:
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

S'okay oh banana-y person... you didnt drag it up to have a dig.

Im not for a second saying that considering the safety of where you let your dogs off is not important.. it is.

But, with my mod hat on, making a first post as a dig at someone who posted a year ago, and has clearly outlined an accident, and intent to solve the problem safely... not the nicest way to join a forum.

Anyway, bygones is bygones, Knitty why don't you introduce yourself and your hounds in the General Chatter area, theres a thread specially for that.

Em
mazz71

Post by mazz71 »

Thanks for your reply.I am very aware how fast these dogs can run when they want to.I have only ever let them off in a fenced in field and would NEVER let them run free in a normal park.I asked the question because i have many friends with greyhounds and when we go out walking together it is lovely to watch them have a run .I would never put my dogs in danger for the sake of a bit of freedom.They used my garden as a race track, and enjoy their lead walks so i am happy them are happy . :?
mazz71

Post by mazz71 »

also Kitty since when are you a Greyhound expert i help to re home greyhound which does'nt mean i know everything but i have a general knowledge.
AS I SAY TO MY KIDS IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY DON'T SAY ANYTHING :twisted: :evil: