Getting a new dog- Questions

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ithinkican

Getting a new dog- Questions

Post by ithinkican »

Tomorrow I am going to see a border collie that I am considering adding to our family. We currently have 5 month old Luka, a male lab/blue heeler mix. Luka is not yet altered, but will be having his surgery toward the end of November. The dog we are considering is a 3 year old female border collie. Her owner no longer has time for her so is looking for a new home.

I plan to take Luka with us to meet the border collie. I was told she gets along with some dogs and not others, so thought it would be good to see how they react to each other before making a decision.

Can you give me some ideas of what to look for, watch out for, ect?
Is it right to take Luka with me?

Any advice/suggestions would be helpful.
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

You should bring Luka, but just make sure to keep an eye out for her. If the other dog gets aggressive, leave immediately. Some signs to watch out for are:

Sudden tense body
Tail straight or wagging awkwardly (stiff)
Baring teeth or slightest movement in muzzle
Growling

Basically just any signs of aggression will tell you that the dog is not right for you and you should reconsider maybe another dog.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

Oh and I forgot to add ears flattening against head and body low to the ground.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Take them for a walk together first.

Walk parallel, NO head on meetings on lead! thats a sure fire way to spark off a disagreement... stick to parallel walking making sure both handlers are interacting with their own dog so they are kept busy.. no time to think or jump to conclusions such as 'i dont like that dog'.

After a few minutes allow one to sniff the others butt.... shes the eldest and shes a girl so let her sniff his butt first... you go ahead with your dog, slow and let her catch up for just a few seconds whilst you distract your dog.

Off you go again, if things have gone well then you can walk a little closer, make this a pleasant experience so both dogs get the idea 'this dogs presence = good stuff' and make sure its relaxed and fun... not tense and nervous.

After a few more minutes see how things go, allow another butt sniff, maybe allow him to sniff her - just for a few seconds, not long enough for anyone to swear at anyone else or make a mean face, and resume walking.

If you do this and you find they rapidly relax in one anothers company then the next ideal stage would be to let them both off somewhere securely fenced. Dont just let them haev a free for all though, you work with your dog, the other owner works with their dog and you get gradually closer, then you allow a short greeting before you each call your dogs back to work with you again.

Once you have done this successfully... and walked back nicely then its time to think of having them together in a house/yard and see how that goes.

Be aware that even if this goes well... it doesnt mean shes going to definately like LIVING with you and your dog... we all have buddies we like but wouldnt live with if our lives depended on it!

If you do take her on, its highly likely that she will naturally be the 'top dog' over him in most if not all situations due to his age and gender compared to hers. That will probably change as he grows older and becomes an adult but you absolutely cannot expect HIM to remain 'number 1' regardless of him having lived there first etc etc.. thats not how dogs work... age and being female naturally puts a dog at teh top of the heap in 9 out of 10 situations..

If/when this occurs you will need to accept it and not attempt to 'even things up' by treating them equally.. they arent. No 5month old male pup is ever equal to a 3 year old collie *****! Its like a teenage jock being equal to a 35 year old hot shot female lawyer... just not happening!

Also, dont expect things to settle down immediately - she will take a few weeks or months to find her feet and suss out how life with you works. Whatever happens dont panic! Think things through, ask on here and tackle any issues as they arise, thoughtfully!

Good luck!
ithinkican

Post by ithinkican »

Thank you for your replies!

I will do as you both suggested- although I want another dog I want to make sure the dog will fit in and be happy.

If we bring her home I imagine I will have lots of questions to post!
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

And make sure you have your emotions under control, if you are nervouse they will pick up on it. It travels down the lead. I hope things work out well for you and this new dog, Borders are fantastic.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
ithinkican

Post by ithinkican »

I went to see the dog, bringing Luka with us. Unfortunately we had to come home without her. She was a beautiful dog and loved my daughter, but growled at me, then a few minutes later tried to bite me when I was petting her. Bite- not playful nip. She didn't like Luka one bit either- tried to attack him almost at first sight.

She will probably be a much better fit in a one dog household- or at least one without a playful puppy :).

I'm still going to look for a dog to add to our family- or possibly foster for one of the rescues nearby.

I appreciate all your advice and will take it to heart next time as well :)
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, but glad that you figured out it wasn't going to work before you brought the new dog home.
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

I to am sorry this did not work out for you and good on you for realizing that it won't work. Some times people will take a dog anyway thinking that with time they can turn the dog around. A resuce dog is a wonderful idea. I wish you great luck in finding just the right dog and it will be a very lucky dog to come into your family.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I am sorry it didn't work out but well done for realising this before you brought her home, this will be much kinder on her as well as your family.

There will be the right dog there for you, so don't loose heart. :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

How very wise you are. I am sure there will be a more suitable dog for you and your family, that will bring joy to all of you, and be happy to live with you.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS