Pocket Beagle

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

pcb0960

Pocket Beagle

Post by pcb0960 »

[b] :D Hi all,
New here, I have had a Long Hair Chihuahua, for 15 years took a while to get over the loss, my husband decided to get a puppy for our son, a "pocket Beagle" she is now 4 months old, she has got the paper training down, trying to get her used to outside noises and people on a leash, she has been oriented with the carrier at night for bedtime(she goes into at night when she is tired), she reluctantly goes into it when we leave!! :( , she has been becoming very vocal with me, either whining or barking at me and when I walk down the hall she will be on my heels nipping and growling grabbing at my pants!!, she has plenty of toys and I make it a point to play with her every day, even though she is supposed to be my sons dog, I seem to be the caregiver,not that I mind. Why does she do the vocalization and nipping at me?
Thanks,
Patricia :D [/b]
Bama

Post by Bama »

Beagles are typically very vocal dogs. I really don't know what is causing her to nip at you, but I know that the behavior needs to be stopped now before it gets worse.

Hopefully someone will come along and give you some good advice.

By the way, what is a "Pocket Beagle?" A miniature? I've never heard of that before.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

4 month old puppies are very baby, and this is all typical puppy behaviour.

Just as with a human child, you redirect the unwanted behaviour by giving her things to chew and play with that aren't you, by rewarding wanted behaviour and not unwanted behaviour, and by avoiding putting temptation in her way by wearing clothes that flap enticingly! :D

And yes, beagles are very vocal and are bred to be vocal, so you won't stop that.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS