Choosing the Right Collar or Harness
Keeping a regular collar (also known as a flat collar) on your dog is must for any dog owner. In addition to a microchip, your dog should be wearing a collar and ID tags at all times. Even the most responsible pet owners might have to face the devastating situation of a lost dog, and your four-legged friend is much more likely to get home to you quickly if he is wearing a collar.
However, a flat collar may not be the ideal choice for everyday walks with your dog.
- Even a dog that pulls lightly can be at risk of neck injuries and other health issues due to damage from a collar.
- Scared or panicked dogs can quite easily slip out of flat collars.
- Prong and choke collars carry the highest likelihood of injury and damage to your dog, but even a flat collar can be harmful if you jerk the leash too hard.
Studies have shown that there are many health issues that can be caused from walking your dog on a collar, including:
- Hypothyroidism, which can be caused from trauma to the thyroid gland in the neck
- Ear and eye issues as a result of extensive pressure on the neck
- Behavior problems caused by pain or other physical injuries from the use of a collar
While it is important to keep a flat collar on your dog for identification purposes, it is a good idea to attach the leash to a back-led or chest-led harness rather than the collar.
How Should You Choose the Right Collar or Harness?
You may be overwhelmed with options when it comes to collars and harnesses for your dog. Check out the links below to figure out the best (and worst) options for you and your dog:
What’s the best way to acclimate a new puppy to a household? Whether or not to comfort a crying puppy, top tips for puppy...
Following the death of UK presenter Caroline Flack, Victoria and Holly are joined by Dr. Paula Bloom for a special podcast...
Victoria and Holly share a new vision for the future of the Positively Podcast and the way fans' questions will help drive what...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- “Director’s Cut” It’s Me...
- Should We Even Talk To ‘The Other...
- It’s Me or the Dog Free on YouTube!
- Do What You Love
- Why ‘Dominance’ Shouldn’t Be a...