shaking legs

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

maximoo

shaking legs

Post by maximoo »

Whenever I scratch Max's belly or chest his leg/legs shake. I call it his "happy spot" He also cocks his head up and to the side as seems to smile. Sometimes he will also nibble on his paw at the same time/ or try to nibble me. I know most dogs shake their legs but I was just wondering why. :?: It seems to be involuntery, like nerves being stimulating and the leg goes haywire. It is cute and he seems to enjoy it. He also does it to himself. :lol: He will bite his sides/belly to get an itch and there goes the leg.
This is what I can't figure out: Sometimes he'll just be standing, and one of the hind legs shakes as if to scratch something but it's just moving in the air :?

Please share any ideas :D
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I always say I have his ticklish spot when this happens. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

Could be a nerve that fires, just like us. Now here is something I find so funny. Tre, my 2 year old Standard Schnauzer male, nutered will be standing there doing nothing much at all and then just start humping air. Don't know what is going on in his head. We were out one day at the off leash park, all the other dogs off sniffing around, running and playing and Tre who rarely wanders off from me starts his "air humping" thing. There was a young man standing near by and is laughing, then he says "way to go Dude", I just about fell on the ground laughing. I have never seen a dog do this before and I have had male dogs all my 61 years of life. It's just Tre being Tre.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Too funny lol.... :) Max loves to hump his bed/large pillows. That's pretty funny looking too. You should tape Tre humping the air & put it on YOUTUBE. it'll be a hit!

I'm beginning to think that when Max leg shakes in the air he wants someone to scratch his belly. Maybe he's communicating. I will comply next time he does it.
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

Yes, it is funny, but I think it is because he is a bit brain damaged or just wishful thinking, he is a male after all.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Well Max no longer has a HAPPY SPOT! A few weeks ago he stopped shaking his leg during chest/belly rubs. :? He never shakes his leg in the air anymore either.

I told my neighbor who has a boxer and he said that he heard dogs sometimes stop shaking their leg b/c they mature. Has anybody else heard or experienced this? I miss my silly boy's leg going haywire with that crazy grin on his face :(
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Merle seems to have an off/on 'happy spot'. Sometimes, her leg shakes when I scratch her belly, and sometimes, it doesn't.
Chessie: fawn 9-year-old Chi
Merle: wolf sable 6-year-old Chi
Nova: long-haired Red 3-year-old Chi
Cocoa: chocolate 3-year-old Chi
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Literally every spot on Bruiser is an itchy spot. It doesn't matter where we scratch him one or both legs start to go. I think it's because when he was a baby he had mange and was itchy all over the place all the time.
Smillin'Sammy

Post by Smillin'Sammy »

maximoo wrote:Well Max no longer has a HAPPY SPOT! A few weeks ago he stopped shaking his leg during chest/belly rubs. :? He never shakes his leg in the air anymore either.

I told my neighbor who has a boxer and he said that he heard dogs sometimes stop shaking their leg b/c they mature. Has anybody else heard or experienced this? I miss my silly boy's leg going haywire with that crazy grin on his face :(
Nope, I had a dog that had a "happy spot" on his neck/side that remained until the day he passed away :)
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Guess what? Max got his "HAPPY SPOT" back!! even tho he no longer shook his leg I still scratched his belly. All of a sudden his leg starting shaking after a 2 1/2 mth hiatus. And he'll occassionallly stand still & his leg will scratch the air again. Maybe my real Max was abducted by aliens & replaced with this imposter, but now he's been rtn'd. :roll: :lol: :lol: Well I'm glad he's back. :D
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Yay!!! I'm so happy he got his happy spot back! I wish Bruiser could donate some of his, because his whole body is a happy spot.