Daily walks necessary?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Misha

Daily walks necessary?

Post by Misha »

I foster dogs for our local humane society. I walk my dogs every day for at least 1 hour, usually with other people and their dogs. Otherwise they are in a fenced yard or my house.

A lot of people who apply to adopt the foster dogs say they will walk the dogs 20 minutes a day, or not at all because they have large fenced yards; the latest applicant says she has a one-acre fenced yard, which will give the dog all the stimulation she needs.

Am I being unreasonable in telling applicants they must walk their dogs every day, hopefully for more than a total of 20 minutes? Is a one-acre yard a good substitute for a walk?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Daily walks I think are necessary - there are some circumstances where I might advise temporarily not walking a dog, for instance a dog who finds going for a walk SO stressful an experience that any attempts to teach them anything else is thwarted by a constant sky high stress level..

But otherwise, no, the very very vast majority of dogs regardless of size or breed NEED to get out and about sniff the smells and have a change of scenery, and 20 minutes is not even beginning to cover it for most dogs either.

If people find this an odd suggestion then ask them how they spend their day.. most people leave the house at least once a day for some time, and even IN the house their range of activities is far far greater than the dogs.

Given that dogs frequently end up in rescue because they have developed problems due to not having their basic needs of adequate physical and mental stimulation met... id be pretty insistant on this!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You are not being unreasonable, and, frankly, a 60 acre yard isn't big enough.

Dogs need the stimulus and social interaction of going out of the home environment just the same as we do. They need to check the scents and trot along the tracks, and refresh their minds and bodies with interest and exercise. You don't get this at home. If you lived in a 100-room mansion, you'd still feel a prisoner if you never got to go out.

Ever been ill for a while? It's glorious when finally, you can get out again.
Length of walks - well, you can't go far in 20 minutes, can you? An hour really is a minimum, and only if it includes free running.

I make myself suitably unpopular :D by telling people that if twenty minutes a day is all the time they can be bothered to give their dog, they'd be better off to get tropical fish. Mind you, those need a fair bit of looking-after as well.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
cindynok

Post by cindynok »

Ok I have been dying to ask this---PLEASE understand I am not being argumentative. Just wanting some feedback.

I was raised in a neighborhood, everyone had yards, and dogs were kept in the yards. It was considered very, very rude to while walking your dog allow it to go into a neighbors yard. People didn't do the dog walking thing much anyway. I am in my mid 50's. Maybe this was because I was raised in an area with single family homes.

Now that I am older, retired and do have more time I want to really train my (probably last) two dogs well. I am studying and learning daily.

That said, there is so much being said about how important the walks are. When does one person's rights end and anothers began? I see so many walking big powerful dogs that are dragging the owner down the street, knowing that they could not control the dog in a emergency situation.

Our dear Boxer mix weighed 118 lbs when he passed. My granddog is a mastiff and huge- his tail is the most dangerous part of him. However what if they decided to attack a poodle being walked?

Then how do people feel about their yard being investigated by a dog on a flexi leash? I have seen this so much dog urinating all over others yards. I have gotton permission to walk my dogs in the park in town --but they will pee, I can't clean that up, what happens when the grass is wet with the urine and a child walks thru it. I see that there are 2 sides involved. There are no dog parks here in my edge of the world.

I just wanted to get some feedback on how things are handles. I know the street and side walk are public property, but what about private yards and common grounds?
You are not being unreasonable, and, frankly, a 60 acre yard isn't big enough
Oh you would be surprised what a dog can find to explore and roll in on 30 acres trust me I know. LOL! (Dead fish out of the pond it the worst). They can stop, drop and roll in an instant.
Hugs,
Cindy
Cindy from Oklahoma
Misha

Walk etiquette in neighborhoods

Post by Misha »

It is considered rude to let your dog walk into other people's yards. Most people in my area don't do that, though there is one woman in my subdivision who does. I don't want someone else's dog in my yard doing his business. More commonly people will let their dogs defecate on the strip of grass near the street. Personally I find that annoying too (no one else in my neighborhood picks up after their dogs). If all the dogs are doing is urinating on the grass near the road, I don't care.

I wouldn't worry about a dog urinating in a park as long as you aren't allowing him to do it in a heavily trafficked area. The ground should quickly absorb the liquid.

You are correct about people needing to be able to keep their dogs under control on the leash. It is stressful to see people being lugged about by lunging dogs. it also can be dangerous if the dog decides to take off after another person or animal.

It sounds like you are a responsible, courteous person. If you train your dogs to walk properly on lead, and you clean up after them and don't let them roam about people's yards, then you will have a great deal of fun and exercise without impinging on other people's rights.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I know I live in a different country, but basic walking manners should not be so different.

"Walk" should be done on a normal lead not an extending one. The pace is a good march - 4 miles to the hour for me, but whatever suits. Polite dogs walk to heel on the lead in built-up areas. They do not go into other people's property.

Where we differ is that I can walk to places where dogs can then go off-lead. I know I am very lucky. So once off-lead, the dogs can potter and sniff, and empty themselves. Polite owners clear up where appropriate. In the woods, you don't need to. I never see urine as a problem - it just soaks away as has been said.

If this facility is not available, then dogs should be allowed to empty out, and owners clear up as necessary, then the walk becomes more energetic.

Dawdling along "minesweeping" with a dog on an extending lead doing as it pleases while the owner starts and stops as the dog dictates is good for neither dog nor owner.

Control of dog on lead is a given. Many people don't even attempt it :? - but again, the polite dog and owner combination doesn't include lungeing at other dogs, people, traffic, anything.
It is so easy to have a polite dog, and so stressful to have a rude one - I really don't understand why people don't just train their dogs.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
cindynok

Post by cindynok »

Hi Nettle,

My children are going back to Germany. Over there dogs are so much a part of the culture. But usually from what I have seen my many trips and lengthy stays is people don't have a bunch of dogs.

They have a well trained, social dog that can basically go anywhere. Except for my granddog Dexter! We were at a lovely ice cafe setting out side and Dexter was under the table. Along comes another dog-minding his own business. Dexter let out this hollar like some one being tortured. I swear we all could have crawled under the table with him. Everyone looked , it was embarsing. We still talk about it and laugh.

When Natalie told the German vet that she was shipping Dexter to the states for 2 wks before they arrived he started asking all kinds of questions. A concerned doctor. Finally Natalie told him oh he is going to his Oma- where he spent the first year of his life. Then the vet felt like it was ok.

I am feeling better about taking Neiko and Lucy to town to walk. We do have 30 acres 10 of it wooded but honestly, old legs don't like uneven ground and the snakes this summer were terrible. We have cyotes that follow the creek on the 10 acres and I just don't want to take the chance. We have seen many of them out during the day.
Thank you,
Cindy
Cindy from Oklahoma
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I have a bunch of dogs... but rarely are they walked on lead all together because it is not conducive to a relaxing walk.

If they ARE taken out all together (four of them), then there are two adults supervising them, somewhere they can go off lead and where we know four dogs running around is unlikely to cause anyone a problem (I say unlikely, theres always someone who will find a problem somewhere).

My opinion on owning dogs where walkies and off lead running is impossible is probably not going to please some people - but I do NOT think we have an unquestionable right to own dogs.

We can do so where we can provide for their needs, and whilst peoples situations do change (and Im more aware of this than many as my physical mobility is not great at present, meaning i struggle with uneven ground), but it is unfair to a dog, and unrealistic to expect them to be able to totally adapt to our lifestyles where we cannot provide for those needs...

Those people who insist upon owning a breed too large for them to physically hold, and who ALSO refuse to learn how to effectively train and manage such animals so that brute strength is not required...

Or those people who own tiny little hamster sized dogs who are not interested in training them because htey are so small...

Or those who own a working breed, from a working line, because they live in the country and thats what everyone has (in the UK thats now some of the seriously hard work HPR breeds like Weimeraners, in Australia its Heelers, not sure what it is in the US..), regardless of the fact that the dog will not be worked and will live 19 hours a day bored witless in a small back yard..

These are the dog owners (and theres a vast array of other kinds in between) who own dogs for the wrong reasons and do cause other people problems, and no, they have no right to do so.

Its pretty easy though to teach a dog to walk nicely on the lead along the pavement and its not too hard to make that a fun filled and interesting walk, without the dog needing to lunge at passers by or dive into peoples front lawns...

But only if the owner is willing... thats the difficult bit!
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Even with several hundred acres does not imply that a dog will naturally go around and exercise themselves. Though I cannot cite a source, I have read where studies indicate that when owners are not around that dogs generally lie around and sleep (except the anxious ones). If the owner of the 60 acres is going to go out and engage the dog by doing something like agilty, home lure coursing, frisbee, ball tossing for an hour every day I would think that to be sufficient for exercise. Making sure of course that dog and man have sufficient warm up before playing or running hard.

Even walking around his yard on leash for 30 minutes to an hour depending on breed would be fine.

But to just say of the dog is outside all day and get plenty of exercise out back is just plain wrong.
cindynok

Post by cindynok »

But to just say of the dog is outside all day and get plenty of exercise out back is just plain wrong
My dogs are not even out on our acreage. They are in a fenced yard when they need to poop. When I was younger the dogs, horse, donkeys and goats and I would take amazing walks around the place and stomp thru the woods. All following me, I sure the neighbors were laughing. But my knees are just too bad. Out front yard is about 3 acres, fairly flat but I don not want them to realize there is a world that direction--a road and cars.

The park in town is 20 some acres, way off the main roads and past the police station so no speeding cars. They will be on leashes. I am going to have my phone just incase I fall. Police and fire are about 2 blocks away. Perfect for an old woman.

I am going to start 2 days thru the week and on weekend. We will see how it goes. Durning nice weather my grandson can go with me. the 2 days he is in mother's day out. By the time the new grandson comes the days will be longer again and can go in the evening.
I am looking so forward to some quiet times with the dogs.
Hugs,
Cindy
Cindy from Oklahoma
Cracker

Post by Cracker »

Cindy, the Okie! LOL. You sound like a wonderful Oma.

Do what you can, find what works and thank the stars when your daughter arrives to help out with the doggies.

I am a professional dogwalker as well as dog problem solver..lol. My business is to walk other people's dogs but I am always reminding them that THEY have to walk them as well, not only is it an opportunity for the dogs to explore the world (socialization!) but it is a great way to bond with and teach your dogs how to behave in the "human" world.

To the OP, I wouldn't adopt out to people who are going to leave their dog in the backyard all the time, the same way I wouldn't say NO to someone just because they live in an apartment. If they are willing to properly stimulate and exercise their pet, regardless of where they live, then they could be a good owner. Dogs are not lawn ornaments.

Emmabeth, your philosophy is the same as mine. It is not a right to own a dog, it is a responsibility, and we are ALL responsible for ourselves, our dogs and every other thing (living or not, it is important to SOMEONE) that we come upon. Respect is important to give, even if we don't always get it in return.
Maggi Burtt
Tailspin Petworx

[img]http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/tailspinpetworx/Picture010-1.jpg[/img]
Marley

Post by Marley »

I was denied a few dogs when I was trying to adopt because I do not have a yard. I walk my little 11 pound dog twice a day and have a dog walker walk her during the middle of the day. We also go to the park everyday for her to run free in a safe place.

I believe she receives way more exercise than most dogs who live in "large" back yards.

I would stand firm on your position and insist on walks.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I also have mobilty problems, I have fibromyalgia and had one hip replaced, the other is well on the way to needing this as well. I am very lucky, many people with fibromyalgia are in wheelchairs but I do wonder how much of that is down to other people being able to take care of them, I am on my own with 6 dogs.

I live in a lovely area, it is very industrialised but round the corner is open fields and country lanes to walk. Some of my dogs can go off lead there but others can't. I do have to be very careful when I meet other dogs because Joe can go into a panic attack.

Gracie can't be walked with the others, vet says she isn't to do more than half a mile, the other 5 I take in 2 lots but there are days when I can't walk my dogs, those days I throw something for them or do training sessions instead. Usually throw a ball because it is easier than standing while training, I can sit down to throw a ball.

I do have a decent size garden for the dogs and a large patio, when the ground is wet the garden is too dangerous for the dogs, they could do their crutial ligaments if the slip. I still get them out on walks as much as I can even though these are greatly reduced to what they used to be.

Somedays I can't walk far others I can, I have to pace myself, there have been times in the past when I have walked too far and had problems walking back as it is uphill.

My 2 youngest dogs are the only 2 that could be rehomed, these 2 can also be off lead to run and play, as long as I can walk them round the corner they can get the exercise they need. The other 4 cannot be rehomed because of the problems they either did have or still have, they youngest is 8 and a Greyhound who won't run off lead, he sticks his nose onto my hip and won't move away if off lead. On an extending lead he is investigating everything he can, stupid boy. :lol:

My dogs may not be exercised in the normal way but they are getting exercise and not just mooching round in the garden. As I get better at controlling the fibromyalgia, hopefully I will be able to walk more and further.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Cheetah

Post by Cheetah »

I walk my dogs every day that I can for at least an hour. I don't believe a yard is a substitute for daily walks at all, but some days, it's not possible, such as in winter when the weather here slips down to the teens (f) and it's blowing snow outside. Or when it's raining. I also don't walk them if it's violently windy outside, because they honestly don't enjoy it.

If it's rainy, cold, or crappy outside, but the roads are clear, I take them to a local Petsmart or Petco so they can at least walk somewhere and I don't have to freeze to death lol. Otherwise, they enjoy a few games of fetch, or running through the snow in the back yard.

When I'm walking them in a neighborhood, I don't allow them on other peoples' lawns, as most people get really angry if a dog even so much as touches their grass! We walk though the neighborhood on the sidewalks, and when we get to the park they are allowed on the grass there.

In the late spring, the summer, and fall, we enjoy not just daily walks, but hiking in the mountains whenever possible. I also takes my dogs anywhere with me that I am allowed to, so they leave the property frequently.
Eevee, 10-year-old Border Collie mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo), 4-year-old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

The point is interactive exercsie and not walking per se. If one has 40 acres of property and walks their dog in their incredibly huge property that's fine.

If some stands out in their .25 acre lot and tosses a ball or frisbee and their dog is playing thats fine.

If in the same .25 acres one has some agility equipment and sets up 3-4 obstacle course and runs their dog through the obstacles that's fine.

If one has no property and is able to go to a dog park and again be interactive in play with their dog..that's fine

If the same person walks their dog 1 hour per day that's fine.

If a perosn of limited mobility purchases a tread mill and trains the dog to walk on a tread mill for a period of time, that too is fine.

What is not fine is using the excuse of having a huge backyard and expecting the dog to use that space to exercise himself.