Venison as a protein source? feeding 3 dogs

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

deerewife

Venison as a protein source? feeding 3 dogs

Post by deerewife »

I have 3 very different dogs. My 1 year-old, 4 lb tiny toy poodle, dh's 9-week old fast growing German Shepherd, and the kids 8 year-old starting to show his age Border Collie.

Problem 1- My poodle has decided that he wants variety and has taken to swiping the cats food instead of eating his own.

Problem 2- The lady we got the GSD from was feeding him cheapo food. We have been trying to switch him over to better quality dry food, but he just seems to get the runs. (Not good for housebreaking success).

Problem 3- Our Border Collie is losing his vision and having severe panic attacks. The vet has prescribed anti-anxiety meds and suggested switching to Hill b/d prescription diet. The Hills food is very expensive and almost all corn/ corn products. YUCK!!

I'm starting to research home cooked and raw diets, but I haven't heard any mention of venison or other wild game. Is there any reason I shouldn't use it? As for my 3 boys, would I be able to make a large batch of food and split it or should I be looking at each dogs needs for seperate receipes?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

We get a lot of wild game, and the dogs do very well on it.

It MUST be frozen first, though, because there are often parasites in game. Freezing kills them.
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

growing up in a small town like I did, Hunting in the fall is a very expected part of life, we've always fed our dogs the "trimmings" after butchering deer, elk and bear.

I never thought to freeze any of it mind you, but thanks for that advice!

My Molly's favorite bones are the ones we get from her "grandma" in the fall with bits of meat, cartilage and the occasional furry hoof bit. She talks to it while she eats it... funny thing really.
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
KeiraMichelle

Venison

Post by KeiraMichelle »

Hi,

Venison is a perfectly acceptable meat protein to feed. I recommend it a lot, especially with dogs that have allergies to the more common meats like chicken or beef.

KM :-)