Puppy Loves Trouser Legs

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

alfie

Puppy Loves Trouser Legs

Post by alfie »

my little manchester terrier is now sleeping much better, so thank you for the advise, But now my next little challenge: when he gets very excited, he takes to hanging onto your trouser legs and pulling at them with all his might, or failing that he humps your leg for all his worth.

I have been teaching him 'leave it' and with little rewards he is gradullay getting the hang of that and does let go, however no sooner has he let go than he launches himself back at you as soon as you move. I have tried ignoring him but to no avail, we have a similar scenario with the lead, and when he tries to hump your leg any sence goes out the window as he clings on for his life!

I don't want to put him in his crate, as i have been told that they should not be used to punish and i haven't - yet! - but i was just wondering the best way to deal with it. I have tried ignoring him and turning my back on him but to no avail. I know he is just an excitable little puppy (11 weeks) but i don't want him to start doing it to other people and would like to nip it in the bud if at all possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Well thats a great game isnt it, because who can stand still adn ignore a puppy dragging at your trouser legs and occasionally accidntally nipping you... I know i cant!

Dont have flappy trousers is one thing, daft as it looks, tuck em into your socks for the time being, theres much less to grab then.

Carry a toy or have one handy, and substitute leg for toy .

As for humpign, i found a stern look, directly into puppys eyes and a very deep, unimpressed 'no!'

Keep finding things to replace these behaviours though as youll have much more success that way. If he really must hump, give him a soft toy to hump nad make it claer that nothing ELSE is acceptable. Much easier then to wean him off the soft toy at a later date.

Do hide that toy when visitors come round, theres nothing more embarrassign than a dog running into a room, grabbing a large soft toy adn then humping it furiously in front of guests!

Em