How to Have a Pet-Friendly Earth Day
It's Earth Day! This is the one day of the year that we collectively think and talk about how to better care for our planet, and that includes caring for our four-legged friends! Here are some fun ideas on how to celebrate Earth Day in a pet-friendly way.
1. Donate newspaper, cardboard and other items to your local animal shelter. Check with the shelters in your area to find out what items they're in need of. Many recyclables, like newspaper, toilet paper rolls, and plastic bags can be great donations that help pets in need.
2. Adopt a "recycled" pet from a shelter or rescue group. Just because an animal is in a shelter and has potentially been in a home before doesn't mean that there is anything "wrong" with that pet. Animals are surrendered to shelters for all kinds of reasons, many of which have nothing to do with the behavior of the pet. Consider giving an animal a second chance -- that's an Earth Day gift you can give yourself that will keep on giving.
3. Be a responsible pet owner. Spaying and neutering is an easy way to ensure that your animal won't contribute to the pet overpopulation problem. And if you choose not to spay or neuter, keep your dogs safely contained at all times to ensure that they don't cause or create any unintentional litters. Your responsibility can have a truly lasting impact, and will keep your dog's happier and healthier, too.
4. Get involved. Find a cause that speaks to you, whether it's helping shelter animals, planting trees, or helping protect endangered species. There are so many ways to get involved, and your participation can have a lasting effect on our planet. And you might find that your involvement will last long after Earth Day has passed!
5. Enjoy the outdoors with your dog. Most dogs love the outdoors! Pick a spot that you and your dog will both enjoy, and get outside for a little dog-friendly fun. Go for a hike or a swim, enjoy a picnic at the park, or just relax in your backyard. Regardless of where you decide to take your adventure, your pup will surely have a wonderful Earth Day.
Advocating for Animals – Victoria and Holly are joined by actor and animal activist, Peter Egan to discuss dogs, moon bears and...
Victoria is joined by dog behaviour expert and a driving force behind the UK Dog Behaviour & Training Charter Andrew Hale to...
The rescue of 180 Chihuahuas sparks a larger conversation on how to transition dogs from crisis situations into homes.
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- 2021 Dog Behavior Conference Announced
- Why I’m Not a Purely Positive Dog Trainer
- Becoming a Dog Trainer
- Social Bullying
- Does Your Dog Respect You?