Hands aren't chew toys anymore

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

nightsrainfall

Hands aren't chew toys anymore

Post by nightsrainfall »

We have a dog at the shelter who's a bit rambunctious to say the least. He's like an 85lb puppy with the way he acts (mixed lab, big dog). His first big problem was he thinks hands are toys to catch like a ball or chew on. Plus, he's big enough that he can (and use to) jump for your hand and get it in his mouth. Luckily he was a soft mouth so it'd graze right through covered in slobber, but still! YUCK and not cool!

The last few weeks staff (and volunteers) have all been working with him by giving him balls, bones, etc and verbally praising him for playing with those. It's been more though, NOT setting the dog up for failure, which we seem to have done well considering the situation. Everyone was told do not pet him or move to pet him unless he's sitting, else to keep your hands in your pockets/away and to not raise their energy level even a little. It took a long time to convince people DON'T get excited and energetically pet him and keep hands in pockets around him unless he was calmly sitting, but somehow it worked out (one woman on staff is really good at convincing people to listen lol).

Anyway, I went in today took him out for two hours in the pen and he didn't jump for my hands or go to mouth them even once! He also sat nicely and thus got petted - and again he did not even go for the hands. Sadly you could tell that he probably would have gone for them, if I would have waved them or gotten my energy up so it's not out of his system completely yet, but hey it's a big step in the right direction. :-)

I've been extremely happy all day because of this! Course there's a ways to go, but considering this is a shelter I'm still pretty happy.
- Anna

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
~ Roger A. Caras
Wicket

Re: Hands aren't chew toys anymore

Post by Wicket »

Great job, nightsfall! : I'm sure the vet (and the rest of the shelter) all appreciate your hard work and research!
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

nice work
nightsrainfall

Post by nightsrainfall »

Haha, I didn't even think about how he'd interact with a vet or groomer! I'm pretty sure they muzzle him for that, not because he's aggressive but he plays way too much.

I just really hope it's one step closer to getting him adopted.
- Anna

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
~ Roger A. Caras
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Thats a really AWESOME job you have done there, it is so much harder to work with shelter dogs because theres always a range of people and its difficult to get everyone doing the same stuff!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant