John Fisher and his theory

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

visNK

John Fisher and his theory

Post by visNK »

I found the information on some polish forums about J. Fisher admitting he made a mistake creating theory about domination between spieces. Is anyone albe to provide me the source of this information if it's indeed true?
There are still some "fans" of traditional training methods and domination theory. And more and more fans of dog whisperer. And I'm trying to convince them to positive training methods - but most of them think it's just some kind of new age, and the dog "should know his place".
emmabeth

Re: John Fisher and his theory

Post by emmabeth »

You need to get hold of a copy of Diary of a Dotty Dog Doctor, where Fisher revisits some of his previous cases and discusses how, in light of information new to him, since seeing that particular dog, he realises that the cause of the behaviour was not dominance or the dog seeking to be 'alpha' but things like resource guarding.

John Fisher didnt come to dog behaviour from an academic background though, so it needs to be born in mind that some of his terminology for things is scientifically, wrong - that doesnt mean his observations or ideas were wrong (andn those that were he learned and changed his mind on), but technical terms like negative reinforcement he used where the correct term is positive punishment, f or example.

So that does need to be made clear before you use him and his work as an example, or you get further misunderstandings.

It would be worth also, including the works of the people who caused Fisher to change his mind, for example Coppinger so that the background is understood more fully.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Emotions

Re: John Fisher and his theory

Post by Emotions »

Try to get hold of Understanding the behaviour of the Pet Dog by John Fisher, its a paper he wrote before he died.

Jane