dogs left in HOT cars... and other's

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

miss_jbj

dogs left in HOT cars... and other's

Post by miss_jbj »

Hey all, I was just wondering how everyone handles seeing dogs left in car's on HOT day's, or in a car without a window down on a muggy day, or even tied up on the back of a ute while the owner is in the pub?

It drive's me wild, so many dogs are left in cars, and it is well advised how qickly it takes to get really really hot in a car, so why do people do it? it often makes me want to smash their windows in (i dont tho) but i have found that putting a nice little note on their windscreen helps, or so i like to think....

I usually just make it short and sweet, like reminding them just hot it does get, and they wouldn't leave their kids in the car nor should they leave their beloved dog there too.

I often wish that you could do like a weekend course at the RSPCA that would give you the authoirty to write them a handy little reminder of how many dogs die in hot cars, or when you see people walking their dogs out in the park and yelling at them and yanking with all their might on the lead that is attatched to check chain!!!
And we would be able to walk up to them with confidence knowning that we are voulenteers for a widely known animal shelter and organisation against cruelty to animals, and then maybe they wouldnt tell us to get lost or just laugh at us and tell us to get out of their business, i'm not saying that i just randomly walk up to people and say you really shouldnt do that, but when i'm seeing a guy kicking their dog, or dragging them by the scruff of their neck it is impossible for me to just watch, it turns my belly over,

sorry for the rambling, but i was wondering if anyone has found handy little ways in dealing with these issues..?
cheers
Boxacrazy

Post by Boxacrazy »

What how to keep your dogs as cool as possible?

Or to try and re-educate people about taking 'fido' out everywhere
with them even though it would be safer and kinder to leave
them home in the cool?

Sadly in the UK even dog show exhibitors that should know better
still get calls over the loudspeaker systems for dogs left in cars
on hot days :evil:

Sadly people just don't realise or think about their dogs on hot
days. Even taking your dog for a walk in the mid day sun can cause
serious problems..
That's why in the hot summer months I don't walk the boxers out unless
it's very early in the morning or later in the evening when cool.
Seen too many dogs being dragged around the hot pavements puffing their heads off as they can't cope in the heat.
We had this a local companion show one year.
It was fairly warm - I had my dogs sheeted over (Reflective space blankets) in my car with frozen bottles of water to help cool them.
The dog show manager had broken into a car on the showground
where there were two English Bulldogs in distress.
We got the vet on the showground to attend to the dogs.
He said they were in distress with the heat - took them a good while to cool down. You know what the owner was really cross when she eventually arrived at the dog show tent :roll: Said her dogs were fine and why did some interfering busy body break into their car etc...she couldn't see that her dogs were in distress as the windows were open... :roll: She didn't seem to realise that her dogs were close to going down with heat stress etc..ARRGGH
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

Here, what I do is go into the store or the mall and tell store/mall security. On their own property, they DO have the authority to do what's necessary for the safety of the dogs. When the owners come back, or are located in the store, they're arguing with a uniform, not a random member of the public. Here (and by "here", I won't go further than to say "eastern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire", and not speculate on how well it works elsewhere in the US), this works quite well because store/mall security responds very quickly to reports of either animals or children unattended in cars.

Notes left on the car, unfortunately, do no good for the animal or the child if the owners of the vehicle are too slow about coming back. If they come back in time, it might make them think in the future.