the lovely chocolate brown dog

Discussion of Victoria's books, It's Me or the Dog: How to Have the Perfect Pet and Fat Dog Slim: How to Have a Healthy, Happy Pet.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

stebirty

the lovely chocolate brown dog

Post by stebirty »

Hiya,
Please can anyone help me in telling me what kind of breed the handsome chocolate brown dog is on pages 79 and 80 in the its me or the dog book thanks.
ps is he called fudge ??? ( to solve an argument between me and the girlfriend !!) :lol:
StaffieMad

Post by StaffieMad »

Its a Hungarian Vizsla, i think! sorry don't know its name!
stebirty

cheers

Post by stebirty »

thanks it is a hungarian vizla .still dont know its name though.
we ve gone out and bought a chocolate labrador crocodile instead. the vizlas are quite rare still in england and are double the cost of a lab
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Who told you that?

Vizsla's are not 'rare' in england, its just that labradors are extremely common.

I do hope you put more thought into which breed to buy than just seeing one on the telly - fortunately labradors are slightly easier to deal with than vizslas.... unfortunately there are far more unscrupulous and dodgy breeders of labs than there are of vizslas.

I do hope your labrador came from a reputable and honest breeder and not one of the many hundreds of dodgy puppy farmers.

Em
stebirty

oo it did sound slap dash

Post by stebirty »

but no we did everything properly . pestered everybody in the north west who might know anything about dogs ie the vets, breeders, the rspca woman, dog shelters, dog holiday kennels. you name it we asked them for their insight so it was more a dispute between me and the girlfriend . she was 100 % sure the dog in question was a wiemanarama and the dog called fudge was a choc lab ( wich after months of disagreeing and me finally gettting the proof that she s wrong she now denies ever saying :D
so after visiting every breeder in the north west we have finallly got a lovely choc lab called popppy and the breeder was a lovely woman who checked out us before letting her dog go. we got to see the mum the dad copies of all certificates ect and i think we finally picked up poppy after about the 5 th visit !! ( bet she was sick of the sight of us !! :roll:
but you are right , on our travels we did see a few quite suspect dealers so it is best to do the background work.
:shock:
on the same note we were quite shocked when we went to a place called dogs r us were they have about 40 litters of puppy s and basically people just walk in say yes plz one of those, there s the credit card and 30 miins latter own a dog :shock: no history parents seeing how theyve been raised.

just in case anyones interested the going rate for a pedigree chocolate lab from a good breeder is about £450 where as a vizla is in the region of £800 so when you add this cost to the inital cost of buying everything for the puppy ie toys, bedding, toys, bowls, toys, lead, training books, toys food, treats, toys, vets bills, child pen, training sheets the cost is a swaying factor.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Glad to hear you did your resaerch....

Dogrus or dogs4us or whatever they are called are GOD AWFUL they are a puppy supermarket, buying in non kc reg pups from anyone who will sell them. I have heard a million and one tales about them as i am also in teh northwest and i have yet to see ANY dog from them that either resembles closely the breed its supposed to be, or is free from serious behavioural/health problems.

There are a fair few of these puppy supermarkets, there is another big one in blackpool, again not registered and poor examples of the breed sold to however wants them.

It is absolutely awful and sadly the only way to stop it is for people to realise that puppies are NOT something you should buy on the spur of the moment, just because you want it, does not mean that you should have it, and certainly doesnt mean you should have it NOW.

Sadly we are becoming an 'instant generation', very much 'see it, want it, get it'.... we want perfect dogs and we want that instantly too which is why i think programs like Its Me Or The Dog have come about, because lets be honest, the people featured on the program (and FAR FAR more so and worse on BBC3's Dog Borstal/New Dog Borstal), have actually NOT tried everything, they havent been consistant and they dont realise it takes time and a lot of work....

Fortunately Its Me Or The Dog makes people sit up and realise work is required (and boy am i glad its on if only to counter-act the utter rubbish and down right dangerously abusive techniques shown in Dog Borstal).

Em