New Dog "Mom"

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Patrice

New Dog "Mom"

Post by Patrice »

Hi there!

First off, I want to assure everyone that I said new dog mom but I'm not babying my dog. :) She's a dog and she knows it...or at least she's learning what it's like to be a dog but that's a whole story on it's own.

A month ago I jumped back into the dog owning life. I hadn't had a dog since I was in my teens/college. My work and lifestyle were much more suited to a cat's life. I traveled alot and didn't have the kind of routine a dog needed. Now I care for my elderly father and don't travel as much and a few years ago I started thinking of getting a dog again. My cousin is involved with a border collie rescue group and he was fostering the one I adopted a month ago. I'm sure you can all relate, he posted her picture online and I took one look and had to have her. You know that feeling when you just found something you were looking for?

Her name is Molly and we're still figuring each other out. She needs alot of work but we're taking it slow and Victoria's show has helped me out greatly. You see, Molly spent 10 years as a puppy mill breeder. She's petrified of everything and will not leave her crate for anything but walks outside. I'm working on that, enticing her out with treats and getting her to eat her food outside the crate which has been successful. We'll get there someday. I'm in no hurry. I can see the trust/bond building but it's only been a month.

Anyway, I'll have many more requests for advice as I go along. :D
Noobs

Re: New Dog "Mom"

Post by Noobs »

Congrats and well done for taking her on.

May I suggest instead of enticing her out of her crate, just drop tasty treats outside the door and then leave her alone? You may be putting too much pressure on her by coaxing her out.

I look forward to hearing more from you and hearing about Molly's progress.
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

[quote="Noobs"]May I suggest instead of enticing her out of her crate, just drop tasty treats outside the door and then leave her alone? You may be putting too much pressure on her by coaxing her out. {quote]

Sorry, I should have been more specific. We've worked up to me sitting by the crate (or a few feet away). For 2 weeks I just threw treats on the ground and left the room. Once she didn't immediately run away from the treats when I happened to walk past the doorway, I tried being in the room with her and throwing the treats outside the crate door. Thanks! :)
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Great! Thanks for clarifying and I'm glad things are going well so far. :D