How you helped us with our Chihuahua/Affenpinscher rescue

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MarthaAnne

How you helped us with our Chihuahua/Affenpinscher rescue

Post by MarthaAnne »

I really don't know if Victoria actually has time to read these posts, but I want so much to let her know that ONLY due to watching her show (which I only saw once before) yesterday, the one with the young married couple who had the backyard bred Doberman Pinscher and the Rat Terrier, did I finally understand how to at least begin to deal with our very, very hard to deal with little dog (he is all of 10 lbs) AND (this is important), I came to finally realize that the issue with our dog was that he was very likely exactly like the Doberman: A dog who had never gotten properly socialized with people or other dogs when he was at those crucial early weeks of life that Victoria describes.

I have to tell you this, too: It's not as if we had not tried to get help! Lord, no! We spent a lot of money and made a huge effort and hired 3 different trainers plus a Ph.D. behaviorist (a board certified behaviorist) and somehow they never showed us what we needed to see. To see how to make the dog feel better with the treats when a visitor comes in, to show how to feed treats to "change the brain" when a dog walks by across the street and our dog needs to be given the positive reward of treats at that exact same time. It was so helpful!

I no longer believe that the behaviorist got it right that he was ever abused. I do not feel he was. I think he was exactly like the Doberman: Never had proper socialization in those crucial years.

We got our dog at 3 years from a sanctuary (by way of Petfinder.com) for hard to place small dogs, most of whom had been on death row in public shelters. Nobody wanted him. I didn't either, but my spouse did (and kind of regretted it). It was against my better judgment, but he was so stressed and had untreated demodex mange and we felt he was suffering so much and decided to adopt him to take better care of him. We do love him, but my fantasy has always been to find him another home. Who would care for him properly? Few people, we feel, so we will always keep him. Our dog has been so hard to deal with ever since, I was bitten at least 6 times, my husband has been bit, and I still cannot put a leash on him or a harness or I will be bitten. He allows my husband to do it. I showed fear the first time, since he had bitten me already, and he saw it and now he fears my putting it on.

We have so many huge issues with this dog and have had him for almost 4 years and it has been, quite frankly, hell, but I would never give up on him. I feel so sorry for him and how he had a poor start in life, no socialization, 3 shelters over a year's time, terrible mange and behavior issues that our trainers did not help us to change.

I cannot thank Victoria enough. I was able to distract our dog, Manny, today, as I tried to introduce him to a fairly new cat (we have 8 now, and take them from our streets), and I was thrilled beyond words to see how the FEEDING OF THE DOG OF THE TREATS TO DISTRACT HIM FROM BARKING AT THE CAT WORKED!!!!

This might seem nothing to others but it is huge to us.
emmabeth

Re: How you helped us with our Chihuahua/Affenpinscher rescue

Post by emmabeth »

Victoria DOES read the forums, she just doesnt have time to respond to every post.

However now you are here... take a read through some of the many threads already running and post about your dog in the Dog Training Advice section where you will get a TON of help. And well done for not giving up on a difficult dog. :D
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

HUGS for staying with your dog, do as Em says, put up in the training section the problems you are having with your dog and we will help as much as we can. In the meantime if you read these thread they may help you understand your dog, what he is telling you and help train him.

The first link is Birth to 2 years old, this will give you an idea of how a puppy develops, it helped me a lot.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1981

Understanding what your dog is telling you, have a look at the clips and information in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2959

Clicker training is a very good way of teaching a dog what we want them to do, this is excellent for telling you how to do it. Clicker training also builds up a dog's confidence and helps you get a closer bond with your dogs.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513

That is a lot to go through but I am sure it will help you with your dog and understanding other posts that are put up.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
joetraff

Post by joetraff »

How a puppy develops
, it helped me a lot.
Thanks for the link.
MarthaAnne

Post by MarthaAnne »

emmabeth wrote:Victoria DOES read the forums, she just doesnt have time to respond to every post.

However now you are here... take a read through some of the many threads already running and post about your dog in the Dog Training Advice section where you will get a TON of help. And well done for not giving up on a difficult dog. :D
OK, thank you - I am going to look at the other threads and posts. Many thanks!

Martha Anne