Purina Pro Plan?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

DogzRule1996

Purina Pro Plan?

Post by DogzRule1996 »

We asked our vet some brands of dog food that is selling in our local area (North Texas, near Dallas). She told us that Purina Pro Plan is fairly good, but I just wanted a rating for it. Please give me your opinion on this brand of food.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
SuzanneT

Post by SuzanneT »

It's crap.....

But, it also comes down to what you can afford, however I believe a quality kibble will keep your dog healthier and cut down on illnesses. A good, quality kibble at a reasonable price is Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. Our local feed store sells it for $37.00 for a 35lb bag. Or, do you have a Costco near you that you can buy their Kirkland food? They sell it for under $25.00 for a 40lbs and have both Lamb and Rice and Chicken and Rice.

Take a look at this website: dogfoodanalysis.com
Suzanne

Mom to Gemini, English Mastiff, and Isis, Great Dane
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

Yes, I have a Costco near me. I checked the Costco website, but they didn't say anything about the Kirkland food. Is it for puppies?
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
springermomx3

Post by springermomx3 »

Pro Plan is pretty bad.

Kirkland's is Costco's brand food.

Some other decent foods for decent prices...
(prices taken from petfooddirect)

Diamond Naturals Chicken:
$35 for 40lbs = $.89 a pound

Evangers Chicken
$41 for 33lbs = $1.24 a pound

Healthwise Adult Chicken:
$36 for 35lbs = $1.05 a pound

Premium Edge Chicken:
$37 for 35lbs = $1.08 a pound
[img]http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/thelifeofriley3/newsignature_edited-1.jpg[/img]
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Blue buffalo is a good brand too. It's $40-$43 for a 34 lb bag.
SuzanneT

Post by SuzanneT »

Kirkland's food is made by Diamond. Diamond has different grades of their food, and some are not as good as others. Costco usually carries several differnt typs of dog food and at least one brand of their cat food. Costco's Kirkland has puppy food, kibble for small adult dogs, and their two adult foods.

Springermomx3 offers some good alternatives.
Suzanne

DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

So Kirkland is a good brand of food... Ok. I'll try that. Tomorrow we'll go shopping!
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
springermomx3

Post by springermomx3 »

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... 31&cat=all

I wouldnt feed it.
Its reasonable, but the menadione, beet pulp,lack of actual meat protein sources and fish that we dont know if its preserved with ethoxyquin or not would steer me clear of it.
[img]http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/thelifeofriley3/newsignature_edited-1.jpg[/img]
SuzanneT

Post by SuzanneT »

Kirkland is no longer made with menadione - I checked the label several weeks ago. It is better than Pro Plan though... Personally, my two dogs have been doing great with Chicken Soup, and I like Fromm Gold Nutional as well. I need to get both past the age of two before I can give them a food with a higher protein level since they are giant breeds.
Suzanne

DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

Thanks a lot guys. We bought Kirkland food today. I'll be sure to try Chicken Soup For the Pet Lover's Soul next time.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I'm thinking about switching my dogs to Call of the Wild, the one made with fish. Is that a good brand?
Chessie: fawn 9-year-old Chi
Merle: wolf sable 6-year-old Chi
Nova: long-haired Red 3-year-old Chi
Cocoa: chocolate 3-year-old Chi
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

It called "taste of the Wild" and is also made by Diamond who makes Chicken Soup., and some others. Rememeber I said get on their website & ask for samples. I got samples of both.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Well, I knew it was 'something' of the wild. I was close, but I think I named a movie by mistake. I feel dumb.
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

Don't worry. Yes, Call of the Wild is book/movie about a dog called Buck. I have that book and love it. Though it gets frightening and its very sad. I cried in various times.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

WendyM wrote:I like doggies :D

I have to go with the all things in moderation, including moderation system as seems to work for my animals. While I don't think kibble is the root of all evil, I also don't think that one kind of food with absolutely no variation is going to do a body good.

My kids like pizza and I can make a nice rich veggie laden pizza but if that was the only thing they ate with no variation three times a day with no variation it wouldn't support their growth or development, it would keep them alive, and eventually they'd just get burnt out on eating pizza all the time.

Same with kibble IMHO in general it has enough of the right stuff to keep my dogs alive but with no variation in their diets, I don't believe they'd thrive on it-- since I can't afford to feed raw except as a supplement I switch recipes within a brand (Diamond/Kirkland) and on occasion grab a 4/5 star kibble (Call of the Wild, Solid Gold, etc) when it comes available to mix in with their regular dosage of nutritional goodness. We also have a rule that the dog in the car gets to order at any drive through (cup of water + grilled chicken salad or vanilla ice cream in the summer, except Greta who gets catfish anywhere they serve soul food)
SEE!? Somebody else called it Call of the Wild. I'm not nuts. It looks like a new name for a dog food brand. I think I'll feed this to my chihuahuas. I like the positive feedback it seems to get, except these people who hark over raw-is-best. It probably is, but I can't afford it.