Puppy underfoot

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Kittylove5

Puppy underfoot

Post by Kittylove5 »

I learned that puppies love to stay by their owners feet where ever they go and sure enough my puppy is doing that. I find that it is a good and bad thing knowing she wont go running off to something she shouldn't be or staying so close I step on her, hurt myself and more importantly her.

how can I get her to stop walking underneath me? I have to pay close attention where I walk and how I walk, she's also a toe and pants leg grabber so this doesn't help either when I'm walking.

Its getting to the point where I have to walk looking at the ground and waddling to make sure I don't step on her.

I hope this is a phase thing and she'll grow out of it in her Adolescent stage and grow some independence...

Any thoughts?
Behind every good dog there is a great owner.
Nettle

Re: Puppy underfoot

Post by Nettle »

Kittylove5 wrote:
Its getting to the point where I have to walk looking at the ground and waddling to make sure I don't step on her.

Yup, we call it the "puppy shuffle" :D

To an extent, dogs always get under your feet, but it's at its worst with puppies. Dress in things that don't flap, forget open toed footwear and bare feet, keep temptation to a minimum and keep THINGS close by that you can stuff into that needle mouth as an alternative to your clothing eg loo roll middles, soft toys, vegetable sticks.

It does improve, but not a huge amount. You will develop radar in your feet. My dogs have perfected the mortified look when I tread on them and then yell at them for getting under my feet. I have enormous boobs and most of the time can't see my feet anyway. :roll:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Kittylove5

Post by Kittylove5 »

Looks like I'll have to carry a puppy utility belt. :lol:

Carry one of her favorite balls and toss them away from me so she can go running after it. I sure hope that changes.
Cracker

Post by Cracker »

Teaching your dog through rewards that the best place to be is BESIDE you is easy, but yes it takes time. Is this happening when you are walking on leash? If so the leash may be too long and you can shorten it up when walking so that she doesn't have a lot of room to cross in front of you. Work on a drop command (again, trading for treats) to help with the pant and leash grabbing..but that IS typical puppy behaviour and takes a lot of time and patience to stop...

So, the waddling may go on for a while..just keep working on it and LAUGH! LOL
Maggi Burtt
Tailspin Petworx

[img]http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/tailspinpetworx/Picture010-1.jpg[/img]
Fundog

Re: Puppy underfoot

Post by Fundog »

Nettle wrote: I have enormous boobs and most of the time can't see my feet anyway. :roll:
ROFL, thanks for sharing, Nettle-- you just made my day! :lol: :lol:
wvvdiup1

Puppy underfoot

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I've had the same problem too when it came to puppies, small dogs, cats or kittens, underfoot, especially when you have "big jugs" and can't even see your toes! :roll:

To break my puppies and small dogs from walking underfoot, I've had to put a leash on them and train them. How I did this with the leash was that I held the leash away from my side with my elbow still touching my side (that is, my forearm is perpendicular to my body) and keeping the leash loose with the exception of pulling the puppy/dog away from my feet. I did this until my puppy/dog learned to stay away from my feet while I'm walking or standing. When I got the desired behavior, I praised and treated my puppy/dog.

Just don't hang your dog when doing this training like I've seen people do. When they do this, this makes me angry and I tell and/or show them how.

wvvdiup1
Kittylove5

Post by Kittylove5 »

:shock: :lol:

I would lovee to try the leash thing but she wont let me walk her at the moment, she still tries to chew her collar from time to time I want her to get used to it instead of wanting to bite my hands or the collar/leash