PLEASE BRING BACK THE WITTY BRITISH VERSION

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bigfan

PLEASE BRING BACK THE WITTY BRITISH VERSION

Post by bigfan »

I've been a huge fan of the show taped in the U.K. and I really miss the way those previous episodes were shot and produced.

I liked the upbeat music, the voice of the narrator, the smart tongue-in-cheek writing and the camera work. Most of all I miss the great editing that kept things energized and the cutaways that showed off Victoria's wit as she rolled her eyes and looked exasperated by the people she was trying to help.

The information is still just as sound and helpful as ever and Victoria is great but the U.S. version falls flat.

It seems obvious that the previous producer and production crew were not invited to the States. Please get them a work visa and fly them here! The U.K.-version showed Victoria at her best--being both fun and educational.
lablver2

Post by lablver2 »

Personally I like the new season better. It is not intended on being a funny show but a more informative version. I like the longer time slot, the step by step, the trial and error, more interaction with the owners and dogs,etc. They are still showing her facial expressions as well. Keep in mind that the US version is now competing with Dog Whisperer. The Dog Whisperer is very serious and that is what this show needed. However it is still entertaining. The new format allows viewers to see there is no such thing as a magic method and with some dogs there needs to be other approaches. It also shows what mistakes the owner will usually make.

I like the serious yet still entertaining concept of the show. Both were very informative and serious yet the US version I find to be a little bit more professional, educational, serious, and other words I can't think of right now. Yet it is still entertaining.
Belgian: 6 year old English Chocolate Labrador Retriever.
"The more boys I meet, the more I love my dog"-Carrie Underwood
Missymay

Post by Missymay »

Agreed, Lab. I like seeing more of the process. It seems a bit more real, in line with what behavior modification is.

I like the fact that there is no fairytale ending, with owner and dog walking into the sunset hand in hand.

I like the fact that it emphasizes owner commitment, which is so important, and understanding the reasons behind the process.
Kim and Asher

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotionâ€
Banjo208

Post by Banjo208 »

Interesting, I thought the big difference was that the people being helped just don't have British accents :wink:

Honestly, I love the show.
lablver2

Post by lablver2 »

The new show also shows that dogs can't be trained overnight. It is a long process but owners must be commited
luvthevic

Re: PLEASE BRING BACK THE WITTY BRITISH VERSION

Post by luvthevic »

bigfan wrote:I've been a huge fan of the show taped in the U.K. and I really miss the way those previous episodes were shot and produced.

I liked the upbeat music, the voice of the narrator, the smart tongue-in-cheek writing and the camera work. Most of all I miss the great editing that kept things energized and the cutaways that showed off Victoria's wit as she rolled her eyes and looked exasperated by the people she was trying to help.

The information is still just as sound and helpful as ever and Victoria is great but the U.S. version falls flat.

It seems obvious that the previous producer and production crew were not invited to the States. Please get them a work visa and fly them here! The U.K.-version showed Victoria at her best--being both fun and educational.

I totally agree!!!
luvthevic

Post by luvthevic »

lablver2 wrote:Personally I like the new season better. It is not intended on being a funny show but a more informative version. I like the longer time slot, the step by step, the trial and error, more interaction with the owners and dogs,etc. They are still showing her facial expressions as well. Keep in mind that the US version is now competing with Dog Whisperer. The Dog Whisperer is very serious and that is what this show needed. However it is still entertaining. The new format allows viewers to see there is no such thing as a magic method and with some dogs there needs to be other approaches. It also shows what mistakes the owner will usually make.

I like the serious yet still entertaining concept of the show. Both were very informative and serious yet the US version I find to be a little bit more professional, educational, serious, and other words I can't think of right now. Yet it is still entertaining.
This is exactly the point..... she should not compete with the Dog Whisperer. She can't.
The show was special in it's own right. Not so special now...
lablver2

Post by lablver2 »

Actually we need it here. Far too many dogs are being euthanised in the states because their owners decide that they are all of a sudden dog whisperers and can train their dogs the Cesar Millan way. Cesar Millan isn't even a real dog trainer.

We need her show out here. WE need this format as it is the only way people will see how you can get the same results with kinder and gentler methods.

For the US I see this show as a lifesaver for the dogs. I see far too many dogs who are pained from owners using methods incorrectly because they believed Millan was right.

If you have ever been to California you would know what I am talking about. We have chokers,prongs, shock collars,etc. here and there. We even have people advertising that their dogs are trained the Cesar Millan way.

In my city we had a IMOTD preview at our own movie theatre and it did so much for us. People were already wanting to watch the show without even knowing who the trainer was.

I know a ton of people who have banned Dog Whisperer in their home and are now watching IMOTD. Their dogs have also been behaving better.

I think this was the best thing ever for the USA. Especially right now it got my head out of politics and got it into working with my dogs. Before the new season started I was very political and very stressed out. The new season has let me shed away the stress and learn new things and showed it step by step instead of a overnight fix.
pupsrluv

uk & us both rule =)

Post by pupsrluv »

I love the UK version b/c of the funny introduction of the family & the awesome music..but i really like the US version. I'm sooo excited that it is an hour (i always thought 30 min was not enough), plus Victoria will always be witty & fantastic whichever continent she's at!

Actually I just saw the newest episode "Chief of Jealousy" and Victoria was too adorable dancing around the play gym & the sidewalk & making little kiddy voices! I don't think I've ever seen [and will ever see !] Cesar Millan do that!

:D :D
~~ love, Karen.
horserider9067

Post by horserider9067 »

I like the US version better because I feel like it is more informative and it teaches you the training techniques better. However I think the laptop skit is a bit corny (sorry Victoria). I do like how the camera shows her reactions to what the owners do, most of the time its hilarious. For example in the British version with Bailey the Yorkie and the owners are feeding him from a fork she looks at the camera like "what the hell?" And in the episode with Toadie and Smartie when they are outside in the field and the husband is freaking out she looks at the camera like "oh s*** whats happening" Gotta love her
Disney Paws

Post by Disney Paws »

Yeah, I love the new performance better, too, because I've heard people say "Oh I'm training a dog like the Dog Whisperer!" and I watched the show and he actually useds his foot to his their "pressure points" which everyones also trying to use, which is really kicking if your not a proffessional. Also, everyone tries to imitate his noises that he makes, but just randomly until it annoys anyone, probably including the dogs! In IMOTD, Victoria explains different noises and levels of noises to make, and explains that it's sound aversion and it's to distract and CORRECT them, unlike Dog Whisperer which doesnt explain that. I'm not saying I'm not fond of Ceaser himself, I just think too many people try to imitate the show, instead of just watching it. the show is more like a promotion for his books and new products, while Victoria's show just mentions the book briefly, but actually explains enough where people can actually train their dogs.