Box game

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Box game

Post by Shalista »

Just a quick question regarding the box game. (I may have asked this already and forgotten my answer so bear with me)

I like to wrap treats in twists of paper towel and stuff it in boxes, paper towel tubes, or paper bags. Bax then has to tear open the bag or box to get the treats. the problem is that bax is a sensitive little soul and doesn't that do that. once he gets to the farthest twist of paper he can reach he'll stand there and whine at it. I usually give him a whine or two and then I get up and nudge some twists of paper to a more easy to access spot.

I don't want to baby him and make something that's supposed to be a little challenging and make him think TOO easy, but on the other hand i dont want to stress him out with treats he's too scared to access. Should i continue to nudge them forward for him or let him sweat a little bit? thoughts?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Re: Box game

Post by JudyN »

My feeling is that there's not much to be gained from letting your dog become frustrated, particularly when he's a stress-head to begin with, and everything to be gained from teaching him that 'If I ask Mum for help she will help me.' So I'd maybe encourage him once - 'Go on, yes, you can do it' but if that doesn't make him try harder, then give him a hand.

Just my non-expert opinion though :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: Box game

Post by Nettle »

I agree. There is no wrong way to play these games - they are fun that you do together. So you are doing exactly right. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS