treat bag

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

swannyj

treat bag

Post by swannyj »

Greetings, I'm looking for a treat bag with multiple treat compartments. I would like to wear it all day to allow spontaneous training so would be helpful to be able to close when not in use but stay open during training. Suggestions?
Erica

Re: treat bag

Post by Erica »

I like the Doggone Good Rapid Rewards pouches, but their secondary compartments are a bit awkward - if you only need two compartments I'd recommend those. I keep the average treats in the main pocket and the super special treats in the secondary interior pocket. The pouch has a magnetic closure that snaps closed on its own, but is also easy to open super quickly. It will delay, but not stop, a curious dog. ;)

Another option are cheap cloth tool belts from a hardware store; they're what several of the trainers I work with use, and are also what the shelters tend to keep on hand for volunteers to borrow. They don't really "close," but tied tightly the tension of the fabric tends to keep them sort of sealed at the top.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
swannyj

Post by swannyj »

Thanks for the reply. I like the ideal of a nail apron. I have sabotaged my pup several times by giving a treat and a crump from another treat flying out with it or the treat itself crumbling. I'm having trouble finding a soft but firm treat that doesn't crumble from multiple reaches in pouch.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

if you dont mind a greasy mess, hot dog chunks or pieces of liverwurst are really good. they're smelly to so they're pretty high value
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
swannyj

Post by swannyj »

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried hot dog a couple weeks ago but pup is changing rapidly so will try again. Will definitely try liverwurst.