Toilet training

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Mckie42

Toilet training

Post by Mckie42 »

Hi I have a 6 month old golden doodle (male) still having toilet issues!! He poo's outside but still wii's in the house,he makes no effort to let u know he needs the toilet. Although we can go up to 3/4 days with no accidents. Any advise pls?
Nettle

Re: Toilet training

Post by Nettle »

We have a pinned thread in "Articles" that will tell you how to do this. Then if you still have queries we will be happy to answer them - please post in the 'Training Advice' section, then you will get more views. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
AshleighP

Re: Toilet training

Post by AshleighP »

I'm looking for some advice on toilet training too! I have an 8 month old golden retriever puppy, who I got 5 months ago. Prior to coming to me she was pad trained and we quickly moved to her going to the toilet outside (gradually moving pads into the garden and praising her etc). We have now trained her to use a bell to ask to go out and she does this pretty consistently when we are in. She will go for a wee and poo on command so we can make sure she has been when we leave her home alone. Generally she is fine and waits until we get home but a few times recently we have found she has been for a wee on her bed when she's been left for about 45 mins, even when she went immediately before we leave her. She does seem to have a preference for going on soft things e.g. Beds and blankets (I guess down to the pad training) but my question is - how do we train her to wait to go when we get back rather than just weeing on her bed when we are out?
She doesn't do well in her crate at home alone so is left in the kitchen with our other dog with a baby gate when we go out. Any help would be much appreciated as we don't like having to worry about leaving her even for a short amount of time! She can go for about 4 hours without needing a wee when I'm home usually - she does tend to wee more in the afternoons though (when I'm home too) which is when she tends to get left
Thanks!