Chest led harness

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Chest led harness

Post by Shalista »

Hey, Bax(11 pound, rat terrier) has used an easywalk harness for the past 3 years but it's getting a bit stained and stretched. It's just not holding it's size very well and his paws keep slipping out no matter how many times i tighten down the harness(it used to fit him just fine, i think it's old. that or hes lost some weight which is also possible). his loose leash walking isn't great and he has the tendency to pull if he sees something he REALLY wants so i'm disinclined to just upgrade him to his collar(i try every couple months and he chokes himself).

My bro uses a back clip harness for his Rhodesian and seems really happy with it but ive read that isn't always great and can actually ENCOURAGE forward pulling.

Bax tends to either mostly pull BACKWARDS (stopping for that last sniff at EVERY bush) or get the zoomies and pull forward so fast he launches himself into a somersault(and my heart into my throat. i swear someday hes gonna snap his neck).

So, front clip? Back clip? what's the best harness for me?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Re: Chest led harness

Post by Erica »

I'm very happy with my TTouch harness - has a front and back clip, lightweight for my delicate flower of a dog, and has three clips so no need to tug it over his head or anything. In your place I'd look for a harness with front and back clips. That way you can give the back clip style a try and see if it works for you (I'd be trying the back clip with a dog that does a zoomy lunge like that!). I've had very little trouble teaching LLW with back clip harnesses, but for some dogs the front clip really does help them refocus on you.

Also available in the US is the Balance harness (I think made by Blue9 or something like that? but cheaper on CleanRun if you don't mind the slip-over-head style). It's similar in design but not a solid color - black with a colored back strap - so I went with the TTouch. Let me dig up the TTouch US store link; I had trouble finding it. edit: link!

And Bax doesn't have long fur so the matting won't be an issue - if you have the funds for it, the Perfect Fit is also a really nice harness.

There's always the Freedom harness, which might be easier to find in a brick-and-mortar store near you, but I'm not fond of the way it sits over the shoulders. It's much better than the EasyWalk but still makes me uncomfortable.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

OOOO TTouch isnt bad $$ either. I cant tell from the website, does it have front clip to or just the three on the back? and why does it have 3 for the back? O.o that seems... excessive.... :shock:

perfectfit looks nice but its a bit out of my $$ and that fleece would be filthy in a matter for days. i let Bax roll in way to many smelly things :cry:
Erica

Post by Erica »

Two of the ones on the back function as basically one - the way they're set up makes the clip line up flat along the back rather than perpendicular and digging into the spine (though that's probably not an issue for Bax). You clip the leash to both of the ones at the back, or the one near the neck, or the front clip. You could really also just clip to one on the back, but this way it's very stable. I didn't know what to think of it at first either but I find I rather like it now!

The extra option on the back has come in useful for me - I have a traffic lead handle that I put on him for active classes where I still need to hold onto him sometimes, so it's easy to put that on the further-forward clip and then put his normal leash on the back clips when I need to. It's also good for long line attaching when you're practicing recalls :P Just nice to have options, and they don't get in the way if you aren't using them.

And yes, it does have a front clip:

I can get better pics of it if you want - the harness wasn't the reason I took these so it's a bit out of focus and confusing. :oops:
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

i really like it :shock:

I've always been a bit unhappy with where Bax's easywalk lies across his shoulders like that and of course his tendency to somersault is something that's been terrifying. these are very reasonable to. I'm a little concerned about sizing though. their xs is 12-17 pounds. Bax was a bit overweight when he was around 12. (I havent measured with a tape measure) should i be concerned about fit?
Erica

Post by Erica »

Weight is always weird to size a harness by...I would measure around the base of his neck and around his stomach where the harness would sit and see if that works for their measurements.

If he's too small for that, I might just say try a standard roman harness from wherever sells harnesses around you - you can always clip it to the front holds-things-together ring if you decide you need the front clip after all, but with really small dogs I like using back clips because it keeps the leash from getting tangled up in their legs so often. That's just personal preference though!

About to edit a better picture of the leash attached to the back rings into my earlier post, for future me's easy access. :)
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

ahhhh so THAT'S how the back rings work! and i just measured and he does JUST squeak into the XS so yay! new harness ho! (I'm especially looking forward to not having to clean his leash every few weeks cause he keeps peeing on it >.< stupid front clip)
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

So excited! just ordered his Ttouch harness! I'll have to post before and after pics when it comes in!
Erica

Post by Erica »

Fingers crossed for you that it fits well! :D (and at least Bax is peeing on the leash and not his own front legs...then jumping up on you...:P )
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I got Bax's Ttouch! i love it! it fits him really well (assuming he doesnt gain any more weight... which is weird cause i thought the xsmall would be to BIG for him. oh well, it fits.) he doesnt pull any more on it which i was scared switching to a back clip from a front. only down side is i have to take a couple minutes to figure out the buckles when i first put it on him =P I tried just unbuckling the belly band and sliding the neck over his head but he was NOT a fan so i've been unbuckeling both belly and neck to put it on him. :roll:

EDIT: tried to post pics but phone was derping. I'll work on it later post nap :lol:
Erica

Post by Erica »

I do all the buckles with Delta too :) He's much happier with that arrangement. And it's great that it works for you! Yay!