Sticky treat

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Sticky treat

Post by Shalista »

Hey so bax and i are working on loose leash walking and the system we have that's worked pretty well so far is putting peanut butter on a wooden spoon and carrying that. he's such a little guy i can treat him for walking nicely without bending down or really stopping much. The problem is that now that he's raw fed he's just not super interested in it. he'll take it so long as there's nothing better to sniff. So far we've just done walking down the middle of the road (country road and you can see for ages so no car danger and less distractions) but i want to graduate him soon to walking in the grass and i think that might be just too distracting for just peanut butter to conquer. He LOVES to sniff. (normally i 110% let him sniff but we're practicing for class and maybe someday passing the therapy dog exam)

I was thinking maybe mixing some tuna fish from a can into the peanut butter so it will still stick to the spoon but it will smell better?

Thoughts?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Re: Sticky treat

Post by Erica »

That's what I was going to suggest :lol: mixing in stinky fish.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Re: Sticky treat

Post by JudyN »

Or you could try liver pate - maybe even one of those cans of sandwich paste, if there's not too much rubbish in them for a small dog.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009