Halti harness

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Imbat

Halti harness

Post by Imbat »

Just ordered a front attaching one of these last week before I joined this site which I will pick up when I am in the uk in a few weeks. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of these & could let me know the pro's & cons as it will be Georges first harness.
Erica

Re: Halti harness

Post by Erica »

I looked at this before but forgot to respond! So sorry!

It looks alright. The main drawback I find with this style of harness is that it's often easy for dogs to slip out of, and the strap can pull weirdly on the shoulders and occasionally cause some weirdness or even injury in the shoulder. They pull up easily and can push into the throat if the dog is pulling hard, which is what harnesses should *prevent* in my opinion. Some brands have a reputation for rubbing the dog's armpit and causing sores there - keep an eye on this so it doesn't happen to George, and if it does you can catch it early! :)

The things that make the halti better than similar styles:
-Clip on the back so you can use as a back clip harness if you want
-Clip on the front to attach to collar (prevents the dog from slipping out of the harness most ways; even if they do escape the harness, it's still attached to the collar on their neck)

Overall opinion: Better than the EasyWalk! Wouldn't be my first choice but looks alright :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Imbat

Post by Imbat »

Thanks Erica, I will keep an eye out for those problems. I know it is not the best but I didn't want to spend a fortune incase George didn't like it so I will try him out with this one & if he doesn't chew it to bits we may look at the perfect fit harness in a year or two.
Thanks for the info though & I will keep my fingures crossed that he likes it as I hate having to tug his neck with the collar :(
:D
Imbat

Post by Imbat »

Just a quick follow up. George has had his Halti for a week now & things are looking good. He has no problems wearing it & is walking much better on leash. I have much more control of his lunging at other dogs & I'm sure as I get more used to it things will get even better. For a cheap option to buy I would recommend it but hopefully I can get him a better quality one later now that I know he is ok with wearing a harness.