Is he just testing me?!

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dalesbird

Is he just testing me?!

Post by Dalesbird »

Hi there
I'm new to the forum.

I have a 5 month old border collie/kelpie cross and I have a training question.
I have had Bud for two months. He's healthy bouncy pup. He gets lots of exercise too.

He has a crate alongside our other dogs crate. Ruby (springer spaniel) and they get along really well.
They sleep in their crates and love the space.

If I'm out of the house Bud is silent in his crate (I've listened at the windows!!!!!) but if I'm in the house he squeals and barks and cries.
How can I address this? Is he just testing me??
I never let him out until he is quiet so as no to reinforce this.

Thanks in anticipation
Fundog

Re: Is he just testing me?!

Post by Fundog »

When does this barking/squealing in his crate start? Is it after you have been away/asleep/out of his sight for awhile, or is it right after you've put him in, or random, or just what?

How much time does he spend in his crate? How much time is he out of his crate?

Just exactly how much exercise does he get, and what kinds of exercise?

A basic rundown of his schedule would be helpful too.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Dalesbird

Post by Dalesbird »

Hi there

Thanks for your response.

There are only two times when he squeals and cries
Bud sleeps in his crate overnight. At bedtime he goes in very quietly and snuggles down to sleep. He barks at 5.30am so I let him out for a pee. He then goes back in his crate and after about an hour he starts squealing and crying (I guess that's just time to get up in his mind!). I go down and once he's quiet I let him out.

The other time is when I need to pop him in, say when I'm having a bath before work. As soon as I go out of sight he starts crying.

If I leave the house and listen outside he doesn't make a sound, so it's just when he knows I'm there.

Bud comes to work with me every day and has a fabric crate in the car which he also loves. He never makes a sound in it and is happy when I walk away. He gets at least an hour of exercise every lunch time off the lead and up on the Cumbrian Fells (I'm in the UK).

At home he is out of the crate pretty much all of the time.

In his crate he does have toys and I always give him a treat or a Kong filled with peanut butter when I put him in.

Thanks
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Have you tried just telling him where you're going to be (Mama's taking a bath, I'll be right back.), and that you'll be back soon? Some dogs seem to get the feeling of what we're saying to them when we simply talk to them, even if they don't really know all the words.

Aside from that, I would just train the "wait" command. "Wait" is different from "Stay" in that it allows the dog to change positions (sit, stand, lay down, turn around, etc.), but wait in that particular place, knowing that you will come back soon to release him. It's useful for all sorts of situations, from crossing streets to propping the door open for bringing groceries into the house. I use it for my girls all the time.

In addition, just for fun... besides your one hour daily walk, both of your dogs might benefit from some enrichment activities, (scent tracking, food dispensing puzzles, etc.) and interactive games with you. I know he gets Kong toys, but they are solitary activities. What games do you play with your dogs?
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Dalesbird

Post by Dalesbird »

Thanks I'll try the 'wait' command as he knows that one!

In terms of us all playing together......hmmmmm not sure really....we do training games with both together but I'd be interested to find out more about the games you're referring to please.

This morning he was actually much quieter. He whimpered a little but I got a (relative!!) sleep in!!!

Thanks again :)
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Well, hide and seek (put him in a "stay" then hide, then call him and he has to find you) might be an excellent game to play, especially since he gets a little worried when you disappear.

Do you play fetch or tug games? Those are fun and interactive, and despite what some trainers have said in the past (or might continue to say), fetch is not a bad game to play with your dog, as long as you stop the moment your dog gets over-excited (starts to get too rough, starts to grab or nip, etc.) And it is okay for your dog to win sometimes, too. :wink:

Scent tracking? Shalista has a thread going on that very topic for her dog, Bax that is still active. I don't know how to make a link, but if you can find that one, it will tell you what you need to know.

All food puzzles should be supervised by you, and they are entertaining so you really don't want to miss out anyway. Save things like cereal boxes and scrap paper. Hide tidbits of food in the box stuffed with paper and let your dog shred the box and pull the paper out to get the food. This is only good if your dog is not the type to eat paper, of course.

A harder one is to get boxes in different sizes that nest together. You put a tidbit in the smallest box, then next the boxes inside the biggest one, in succession. He has to open each box and pull it out of the box it is inside to get the treat.

Or you can just use one box, and close it by interlacing the flaps, and he can open it any way he can figure out how. Some dogs are very clever and hard working and will open the box in such a way that you can use it over and over again. Of course, be sure to use boxes that do not have staples holding them together.

Get an old muffin tin, put a tidbit in each cup, put a toy or tennis ball over the tidbit in each cup. The dog has to remove the ball to get the tidbit out.

There is a pinned thread called "Exercise the Mind" in the Health section, if you want more ideas. :)
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Dalesbird wrote:I have a 5 month old border collie/kelpie cross and I have a training question.
the very first thing to do, even before acting on any of fundogs VERY good advice and suggestions....

Remind your self what border collie and kelpie do. they are VERY active herding dogs. breed to be able to think and make decisions. AND they do need to spend time with you, play with you, hang out with you doing nothing to meet their social needs.

Soooo.... with that in mind, I strongly encourage you to integrate Fundogs advice along with the exercise you are providing.
Dalesbird

Post by Dalesbird »

Oh thank you all so very much for your ideas!
love the little fella to bits so want him to be happy!
StellaSamadhi

Post by StellaSamadhi »

Hello! I have an 8 week old border collie who is starting to get into everything. She loves to nip feet and shoes.
I am looking for games to play with her at this age. She is so distracted. We have a routine we just started where she sleeps in the crate at night and when its been about 4-5 hours I let her out to pee and ask her to go back "to bed" . When we wake up we go a block down the street to the park where she loves to chase/heard me haha. However even when we are there for an hour we come home and she starts to nip again. What are some good game we can play. She has not found interest in tennis balls yet. so fetch is not available. Today I am going to put treats in a box and see if she has interest in finding what is inside.. I will also try the muffin ball game where there are treats underneath objects. I tried clicker training at 7 weeks four days and she was not interested. Is 8 weeks a good time to start?

She crys a lot at night so today we are going to practice 10 minutes of bed time and when she is silent I will let her out and give her a treat? IS this the correct process or am I missing something? She tends to bark every two hours at night .. We use to take her out at every two hours and suddenly she expected it and wanted to play in the middle of the night so that is why we increased her bed time.

Thank you!!!!
StellaSamadhi

Post by StellaSamadhi »

She also get tired on the kong and moves to bitting on the legs of out desk,... do you suggest Bitter Yuck spray or another method???