Controlled Walking Up / Down Stairs

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

CarolineLovesDogs

Controlled Walking Up / Down Stairs

Post by CarolineLovesDogs »

Overall teaching my dog to walk calmly by my side on cue is going well but I am definitely a beginning trainer. I am trying to teach her to continue walking calmly next to me, not pulling ahead while going up or down stairs, but I'm not sure how. She goes ahead of me rather than staying on / around the same steps. The pulling is annoying and could be dangerous. Are there any specific tips for working on stairs? Thanks.
Nettle

Re: Controlled Walking Up / Down Stairs

Post by Nettle »

Take it slowly at first, one step at a time. On a short lead she won't be able to go ahead of you. Reward each step so she goes up/down with you and stops for her treat. If she is a big dog, she will not be able to get all her feet on the same step. That's okay - she can still stop.

Once she has that in her head, you can phase out the treats gradually and increase the pace.

What sort of steps are these, or are we talking steps in general?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
CarolineLovesDogs

Thanks Nettle- I was practicing on my basement stairs today and very soon she was getting it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Wonderful! :D Give yourself a treat - well done.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
CarolineLovesDogs

Give yourself a treat- you're the one who gave me new inspiration to try something else. :)
belle989

Post by belle989 »

I've experienced the same issue with a dog I used to have that was very high energy. The dog I currently have is very low energy, but, surprisingly, had the same issue. What I realized is that in my older home (built 1932), the stairs are narrow and difficult for them to climb, but even more difficult for them to descend. After a lot of repetition, praise, treats, etc., the high energy dog was eventually able to climb the stairs at a normal pace, but could never master going down them slowly. I think it was truly a case of him having to go fast to get down them the best he could. He did often slip and show other indications that it was a struggle. The very low energy dog I have now is a little more comfortable with them, but proves again that these old, narrow stairs are difficult for dogs. He's learned to wait until we're about halfway up or down then he climbs the stairs. This way, the dog can comfortably climb up or down at the faster speed, but we're not tripping over each other. It makes it safer for everyone this way. So, just a thought that perhaps it's easier for the dog. Perhaps try to let the dog follow you on the stairs after you are off them so he can safely tackle them at a speed that works for him. From our experience, our dogs simply go fast because stairs are physically challenging and the speed helps them keep their balance.