Potty Training

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

mjg24

Potty Training

Post by mjg24 »

Our puupy has just turned 5 months old and we are still having issues with toilet training. He knows the cue and will go on cue when we take him out. We crate train him so always take him out after being in there and eating, sleeping playing etc. He will take himself outside to do poos but still won't take himself out to wee. He will go to the door if it's closed and try to tell us he needs to go if we miss him at the door he will go on the lino, which is fair enough cos he did try and tell us. If the door is open he still won't take himself out though. We don't scold him obviously and rush him out when he does go inside and give him lots of praise and treats for going outside. When we get him up first thing in the morning we take him to the door and he will take himself but this is the only time he will usually take himself to wee, every other time we have to go with him and sometimes he won't go then we come back inside and he goes straight away on the lino. He is definitely getting there and the accidents are less and less and we are much better at picking his cues, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for getting him to that last step of taking himself out to wee? Thank you! :D
JudyN

Re: Potty Training

Post by JudyN »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

When he does a wee or poo in the garden, do you praise and treat him? I'd give him something really high value - and as soon as he's performed. You can also try naming the action so he learns the words (choose a word you're unlikely to use in the house in another context!).

Make sure you clean up really thoroughly with white vinegar, biological washing liquid, or something designed for the job - household cleaners may have ammonia in them which may encourage him to use the spot again.

If he goes out, does nothing, and comes back in again, take him straight back outside again.

I managed to teach my dog to 'ask' to go out - when he stood silently by the back door I'd hold the handle but not open the door, and look at him expectantly. He'd wait, expecting me to open the door but after a bit he'd whine - then I praised him and opened the door. Gradually I waited for a louder and louder vocalisation and now he will bark once to ask to go out (and twice to come back in again - I don't know why :lol: ). This may help you, but not if your dog is at the stage where he'd just wee where he is if you don't open the door.

Hope that helps - you might find some more ideas here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6125
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Fundog

Re: Potty Training

Post by Fundog »

Do you have a doggy door, is that why you keep referring to "take himself out?" Some dogs, especially young pups are a bit nervous and fearful of being outside by themselves, and prefer to be accompanied. Some dogs are so nervous that they will bark at silly things, such as a bit of trash blowing by, or a strange car that doesn't belong on your street, and totally forget to go potty. Then they will ask to go out again just ten minutes after you bring them in.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.