Longer lasting kong

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Longer lasting kong

Post by Shalista »

Hi, so I have a 1.5 year old Rat Terrier named Bax and I'm at my wits end. he LOVES to chew and i try very hard to keep him occupied with a variety of bones and chews. he loves nyla bones and antlers and the occasional raw hide or bully stick (he doesn't get those often, he has a sensitive stomach)

I'm fine with spending money on bones and antlers if it keeps him happy but i really like using kongs (this kind: http://www.hondenfun.nl/wp-content/uplo ... elgoed.jpg) because it can keep him occupied for so long while I do work and gives him something to think about instead of just mindlessly chewing.

The only problem is how quickly he destroys them. He breaks the top third off completely in a matter of minuets. (most recently was 34 minutes and there wasn't even any stuffing in it, it was a brand new kong) They're still sort of usable but the hole is so much bigger so he can quickly push through anything i put in. Any recommendations for ways to keep the kongs intact a little longer or maybe a suggestion of a similar toy that's more resilient?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Re: Longer lasting kong

Post by Nettle »

Cardboard boxes - make sure they don't have staples in. And big raw vegetables - pumpkins, cabbages and so on. Make sure they are washed in case of agrochemicals.

You can put a treat in a box, then the box in another box etc. so he has a real incentive to investigate and then tear them up.

Terrier types like to kill their toys, and ripping to bits is where it's at for them. So these things are cheap, the dog gets plenty of fun, and all (all! :lol: ) you have to do is clear up afterwards.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I've used tissue boxes before and had him tear them up, I guess I can just do that more. it will help him build some confidence to. (he was a bit jittery with sooo much scary new stuff like a box full of treats and newspaper. he likes to think he's a tough guy... but not so much)

And no, I didn't know it came in black. :shock: when he was a puppy i go him the super squishy pink puppy variety. that one didn't last long. I'll have to check my local pet stores and see if i can find one of the black ones.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Tissue boxes are okay, but I'm talking great big thick huge cardboard boxes - ones that maybe had TVs or washing machines in them once. Go for a trawl round supermarkets and domestic appliance stores. Sweet-talk the managers - generally they are only too pleased to get rid of cardboard boxes.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
pooch495

Post by pooch495 »

Like mentioned above the kong extreme (the black one) is awesome and super tough. We've had the current one for about 8 years and its still going strong.