Smelly liquid uses

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Smelly liquid uses

Post by Shalista »

So i recently found a liquid that my dog Bax goes NUTS for. Absolutely LOVES it. My problem is thinking of a good application for it. I cant really use it as a reward cause its the consistency of water, unless i carried around a tablespoon to serve it to him it wouldn't work very well. My mom thought maybe soaking some bread in it and using that as a reward? I thought maybe something to do with nose work because it's very smelly?

I feel like I've been given a gift and I'm just not sure how to use it very well.

TL;DR I found a liquid my dog loves. How do I give it to him in a way he can enjoy?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Re: Smelly liquid uses

Post by Erica »

What is it?

I remember a discussion aaages ago, not even sure it was on this site, about replicating lickety stix with roll-on deodorant containers (sold as DIY, and never used for D.O.!)...I dunno what consistency it'd have to be to work like that, though.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

It's some kind of fish sauce. I checked the ingredients and nothing looked dangerous, probably a bit salty and VERY fishy.

Like I said, I've never seen him go so crazy for something and i want to tap into it.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Interesting :)

I also remembered that one of the people in my agility class spread peanut butter on their arm for their dog to lick off. If you can find a way to transport it, that might be an option?

Or maybe tear chicken into treat-sized pieces, and put those in a bag with some of the sauce, mix it up so the chicken gets covered....
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I spotted a 'Go Toob' a few days ago, which could work: http://www.rohan.co.uk/essential-travel ... e=03794113 The nozzle's quite small. I had thought about using it to dispense peanut butter as a treat till I remembered we only keep in crunchy peanut butter :lol:

Camping shops probably have other options.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

How about adding it to some home-made biscuits?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

ooo homemade biscuits is a great idea. Anyone have a good recipe i could it to (or a link to one on a dif thread) that i could use? I like to break his treats into tiny, tiny pieces and give him lots so he gets frequent reinforcement with fewer calories. (he tends to chub up a bit)
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

For everyday training treats I use a good quality grain-free kibble soaked in liver juice- maybe you could do the same with the fish sauce (home made biscuits would be even better but I'm too lazy I'm afraid..) ;) it works pretty well and as the kibble gets nice and soft you could easily break off tiny bits.