New puppy not being accepted at bed times

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ejonespom

New puppy not being accepted at bed times

Post by Ejonespom »

We have a female miniature dachshund aged almost 2 yrs and have just gotten a male ages 8 weeks.
We have placed their beds in close proximity of each other but the pup wants to sleep with the female. He will not sleep alone but the female will not entertain him. If he crawls in to her bed or even by it she swiftly walks out and cries at us to sleep in our bed. Occasionally she sleeps with us but usually sleeps In her bed no problems until around 5am when she goes out for the toilet then comes in with us for a snooze but never all night. Now she wants to get in as soon as we do. The pup hasn't settled and cries multiple times a night. We want them to sleep sound together. And definitely don't want them both in our bed.
How can we encourage them to sleep in their own beds? Please help
Thanks
Emma
Dibbythedog

Re: New puppy not being accepted at bed times

Post by Dibbythedog »

Congratulations on your new puppy. Have you thought of having a crate for the puppy and placing it next or near to your other dog.
Ejonespom

Post by Ejonespom »

I do have a travel crate that I could use. So is the idea to place him in at night times until he's a little more settled then introduce his bed?
He has a puppy pen for when I'm not there, he's so little and I want to supervise during play time. As Sizzle (older female) is a little rough with playing still but I wouldn't want to use that and seperate them during the night time.
Thanks for your reply
Emma
Dibbythedog

Post by Dibbythedog »

Yes , that's right. Put his bed in it , if it will fit in , or something like vet bed and you could put a soft toy in , one that he could snuggle up to.
it is natural for a pup who has just left his siblings to want to cuddle up to another dog but he will adjust in time.