Harnesses

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

CarolineLovesDogs

Harnesses

Post by CarolineLovesDogs »

Hi, I have a question about harnesses! In regards to injuries and comfort, is there a better choice between front attaching harnesses and back attaching harnesses? Currently I have my dog wear a back attachment harness which clips below her neck area on her back, but if front attachment harnesses are safer I want to switch. Thanks!
Oh, and by the way, I don't need a front attachment harness for help stopping or redirecting pulling; I am simply wondering if they are less likely to cause injuries or more comfortable in general. Really, I am assuming comfort depends on dogs, and I think that front attachment harnesses aren't as good an idea if the dog is on a long line as they could build up steam and get their body jerked, but I'm looking for other opinions. One thing I know for sure is I won't use a collar as those are the most likely of any to cause injury!
Erica

Re: Harnesses

Post by Erica »

Back clips with Y-shaped fronts (eg, Perfect Fit harness) are, from what I've gathered, the safest for the dog. :) Front clips have the potential to cause shoulder injuries, especially if it's used as a band-aid to strong pulling and not as a training aide, or if the dog is doing much more than a slow trot gait. Harnesses with straps that go straight(ish) across the shoulders either are high up enough to push into the throat, or are low enough to interfere with shoulder movement.

TL;DR: Back clip harnesses are fine!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

I assume it's Molly the mini-dachshund ? Then I would definitely prefer back clip, specifically "surefit" type.

But wearing back clip harness turns a pulling dog into a locomotive, even a mid-size dog, never mind L or XL... Amplifies dog's pulling power. Just something to keep in mind in general.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

If this is for a short legged breed, I would recommend the back clip harness. I have a Corgi (short legs) and I tried a front clip harness on her awhile back and the lead was always getting tangled around her front legs since by design (hers and the harnesses) it was so close the ground in front of her. :wink:

Like your dog, she doesn't pull, so no need to have a front clip harness on her anyway. I have a SureFit and love it, but I also just bought a Gooby and really like that one too. :)
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11