Leash for running

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Midget

Leash for running

Post by Midget »

Hello!

I was looking around for best leashes for running and i saw these shock absorbing leashes ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003 ... ROKL5A1OLE ) . Are they any good? If yes, Should i get a whole leash or just a spring that attaches to the leash?

I always walk her on a hands free leash that goes on my waist, so she is used to that part. She isnt really a puller anymore, but she is not actually a loose leash walker. Im working on fast walking with her.

Also, i was looking at a non pull harness (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006 ... ROKL5A1OLE ) . Are these any good? Are they also good for running?

Any running tips would be highly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

PS note: i live in europe so any american stores are unfortunately a no no :(
Erica

Re: Leash for running

Post by Erica »

I prefer to try out bungee leashes in person, to see how strong of a pull they can handle before they run out of stretch. Some are so easily stretched they may as well have no elastic at all! I don't know of that leash in particular. I found and used leash attachments with elastic, as I already had a good leash and just needed the shock absorption. :)

I wouldn't use that kind of non-pull harness in any case, myself...I'm not fond of how it pinches under the armpit. It uses discomfort to stop pulling. Front-clips are not appropriate for running either. A standard roman harness is fine, if it doesn't rub your dog's armpits!

Personally, I enjoyed doing canicross until my running partner got stiff in the hips and my knee started hurting. I'm hoping to pick it up again once my poodle pup is old enough :) Most dogs don't tend to pull as much when running as the faster pace is comfortable enough for them to just keep up - pulling at a walk is usually because dogs just walk faster than people :)

There are lots of Canicross groups in Europe, so it would probably be easy to find one near you. Often the members are happy to let newcomers try out different gear to see what they like, so it would be a good place to find a nice bungee leash or leash attachment.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

In Canicross, is the dog not expected to pull to some extent, to give the handler extra impetus? Can this cause a problem if you want him to pull some of the time but walk/trot nicely without pulling at other times?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

I'd second Erica's advice about seeing what you can find in person to try first, even if you then found it cheaper to order online afterwards, just to get a good idea of what suits :D
JudyN wrote:In Canicross, is the dog not expected to pull to some extent, to give the handler extra impetus? Can this cause a problem if you want him to pull some of the time but walk/trot nicely without pulling at other times?
I've never done it myself but apparently the dogs learn to differentiate well pretty quickly. I think it's helped by a canicross harness being more of a full bodied thing (but I could be wrong)
Erica

Post by Erica »

Sorry, was a bit rushed to post and didn't fully explain myself. :oops: Canicross is an option if you want to go that route, and Opal picked up really quickly that she was to pull when we were going faster than a normal walk and to not pull when we were just walking. You could also just cue verbally when to pull and when not to.

If you don't want to mess around with "you're allowed to pull at this point but not at that point," the canicross groups would still be a good place to find a good leash. You'd just want to train a bit differently than they do. They'll also have good ideas on where in your area you can run with a dog, and tips on how to condition your dog so they're ready to run, etc. :)

Honestly, for the dog's I've run with, I've found it's more difficult to get them to pull when doing a nice steady jog than to get them to stop pulling!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Midget

Post by Midget »

Hello!
Thank you all for your replies! Was helpful!
I think i will go for the little attachment cause i do have a nice leash to be honest.
Im pretty sure they do not have a canicross where i am heading to (little island), but does sound like a perfect idea!

Thank you again!
LouiseP

Post by LouiseP »

I like to use this one made by Trixie:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waist-Belt-Lead ... 0057FZLDY/

My dog loves running with it :D