help slim down my dog

Discussion of Victoria's books, It's Me or the Dog: How to Have the Perfect Pet and Fat Dog Slim: How to Have a Healthy, Happy Pet.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

puglvr

help slim down my dog

Post by puglvr »

i need help, or tips on how to slim down my amazingly 40 lb. pug. she gets one bowl of food a day, and runs 3 times a day. but she never shds a pound! both her and her son go thru the same thing everyday, which includes 3 walks a day. and her son is 20 pounds lighter than she :? . i need help, because even tho she has strong muscle in her legs, i dont want anything to happen to her :cry: . PLEASE HELP!
K9S R GR8!

Pugs are like potato chips, you cant just have one!
Bro. Dave, OBB

Re: help slim down my dog

Post by Bro. Dave, OBB »

[quote="puglvr"]i need help, or tips on how to slim down my amazingly 40 lb. pug. she gets one bowl of food a day, and runs 3 times a day. but she never shds a pound!

How much food is "one bowl of food"? Also, what kind (kibble, can, raw, etc)? For example, my Maxx (an ESS) is large for his breed and tips the scale at a trim 56#. He runs alongside of me on my bicycle for anywhere from 1 to 5 miles daily. Maxx is solid and eats a homemade raw food diet, including raw meaty bones. His daily consumption is approximatelyt 3/4# of food per day. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less.

According to the AKC Breed Standard your Pug should weigh in the neighborhood of 14 to 18 pounds or 1-1/4 stone. On a good raw diet plan a dog of this size would typically get a daily ration of 6oz, give or take a little.

So, for your dog, how much to feed is as much a function of what kind of food you are feeding as it is how much you are feeding. When I say "how much" that also includes snacks and treats that you give your dog. So, with a little more information we may be able to help you.
Bro. Dave, OBB
Green Bay Monastery
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

A full vet check including bloods, underactive thyroids can cause weight problems.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]