Hi - were Seli & Kuga

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Seli

Hi - were Seli & Kuga

Post by Seli »

Hi everyone, my name is Seli and my hubby and i have a 3yr old chocolate Lab called Kuga.

I want to learn to be a dog trainer but am struggling a bit with getting my head round tackling certain behaviours without using aversive noises/techniques.

I've posted up about my friend French bulldog and how to stop him nibbling you when you wing let him on the sofa, normally I'd use aversion, but just squarting a bit of water on his rump, whilst saying no, and then if he didn't try to get on the sofa for a few minutes I'd praise him and give him a treat.

But how can i tackle this without the water whilst he stats with me for a few days?
ScarletSci

Re: Hi - were Seli & Kuga

Post by ScarletSci »

Hi Seli, welcome to the boards :D Sorry for the delay, I'm afraid I don't check this section very often. But better late than never! :D

I saw that your post about dogs on the sofa has been answered, so I just wanted to say that I'm glad you're trying to move away from aversive techniques. It's a pretty general statement, but I find that rather than punishing a dog for displaying "bad" behaviour, it's easier and kinder to show him what you do want him to do. So for the sofa one for example, I'd be training him to lie on his bed with a kong toy, or to lie on a blanket at my feet for fuss rather than on the sofa. Then reward, reward, reward, for doing what you'd prefer him to be doing.

Glad to see more people wanting to find more positive training methods, particularly potential dog trainers, so thank you!