Introducing Myself and Mya

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MissMya

Introducing Myself and Mya

Post by MissMya »

Hi my name is Kate :) I have a 9 lb Chi/JRT mix. I am looking on getting some advice about dealing with her fearfulness. I have tried treats, exposure, thundershirt, positive reinforcement. When I got her she was abandoned on an native reserve when I was driving down the country road. She was infected with fleas, ticks and she had severe mange. 80% her body was bawled. Took me almost 4 1/2 months of treatment to get her fur back (had no clue what kind of dog she was). She was roughly 6 months old when I rescued her. She is almost 3 now. I live in an apartment and everyone on my floor treats (when they greet her) her (very patient with her). She is amazing at recall, commands, off leash, but I am still concerned about the fear she exhibits. Today we went out for a walk and there was a little girl and the mom just wasn't too smart about asking if she could go near my dog; well Mya got upset and growled/lunged. I had her on leash of course but hate the fact that she does it and no reason for it (I have never abused her or anything).

I want her out of the state. I am hoping I can come here and find some more ideas, suggestions and input. She hikes with me, we exercise 2 hours every day, she walks and she has a dozen toys. She is never bored. She is treated well.
Ari_RR

Re: Introducing Myself and Mya

Post by Ari_RR »

Hi Kate
For what it's worth - little girls and moms approaching and trying to pet a dog can be quite unwelcome for many very confident dogs.. Unfortunately, with small and cute dogs strange humans some times forget about manners, and rudely intrude in the dog's private space. With large and scary looking dogs this probably happens much less frequently.

That said - yes, it will be nice to have Mia tolerant of humans in close proximity. There are ways you could increase her level of tolerance. But I would not set a goal to have her enjoying strangers petting her all of a sudden. This may just be unrealistic.

In any case - I would post your story under "Dog Training Advice" section, you may get more responses there.