train your dog positively

Discussion of Victoria's books, It's Me or the Dog: How to Have the Perfect Pet and Fat Dog Slim: How to Have a Healthy, Happy Pet.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

pippin13

train your dog positively

Post by pippin13 »

Just got my copy and absolutely love it. Ive only had cats before and im learning so much! Glad i found this book now while im still waiting for my first puppy.
AliceGrimm

Train Your Dog Positively

Post by AliceGrimm »

Victoria mentions early in the book in Part One, Section 4 about how she uses the creature on a stick game. I have seen her do this in her show, but I was curious if anyone could tell me the steps in how to cue a puppy/dog into waiting to play the creature on a stick game, so that you can safely make your puppy/dog wait when they want chase squirrels, etc.

Would you pull out the stick and just leave the stuffed animal hanging in the sky to start, or would you move it around like squirrels do to test the puppies wait ability and reward? I just want to set the puppy/dog up for success. And I thought this was an amazingly great idea of something to teach doggies/puppies.
Annabellam

Re: train your dog positively

Post by Annabellam »

pippin13 wrote:Just got my copy and absolutely love it. Ive only had cats before and im learning so much! Glad i found this book now while im still waiting for my first puppy.
Been meaning to get it for the longest time. This post just reminded me. Looking forward to reading it then maybe i can answer some questions as well :)