Dog ripping up carpets when left alone

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Kannec

Dog ripping up carpets when left alone

Post by Kannec »

I have an 8 year old (just) male Lhasa Apso called Dougal. I got him from a so called breeder when he was 2 years old. He was basically used as a stud dog for most of that time and probably spent most of his time in a crate. When I got him I worked full-time and had no problems at all with him.

Last September I was made redundant from work so was at home a lot of the time until January of this year when I started a part-time job. For the first couple of weeks of me starting work, Dougal was fine. Then on the odd day he would toilet in the kitchen while I was out and more recently he has started to rip and chew up my carpet. The thing is, its not consistent. He can go weeks without doing anything but something will trigger him off. Like every other Monday I look after my 11 month old grandson. When we go out, sometimes when I get back he's toileted in the kitchen again. This Saturday I went out and when I came back he had ripped up my carpet yet again.

I'm really at my wits end now as first of all, its not my house, its rented. I only have a small bit of carpet spare ready to repair it but there isn't any point as he keeps doing it. But I'm getting to the point now where I'm dreading going home as I don't know what I'll find. Also, I get home at 2.30pm and take him for a walk, but again, I'm finding I don't want to accept any invitations to go to dinner, or out with friends in the evening because I don't know what I'm coming home to.

I spoke to the Lhasa Apso rescue for advice and they suggested that he has obviously had a lot of change in a short space of time (redundancy, me going back to work, me looking after grandson). I did discuss re-homing with them as maybe he would be better with someone who is at home or a retired person or a couple. And although this is a last resort, it may become a possibility, which would really upset me.

My house is open plan and there is nowhere to shut him away (which I wouldn't want to do anyway). I have a child stairgate between my lounge and kitchen which is shut when my grandson is there and I leave Dougal in the kitchen.

I would appreciate any advice as I really can't deal with this destruction much longer and I don't know what to do at all. Thanks.
Kannec

Re: Dog ripping up carpets when left alone

Post by Kannec »

Just a note, I don't believe its boredom. I think it is definitely separation anxiety. When I come home and try and open the front door, there is resistence where he has lifted the carpet inside the door in my hall. So when I feel that, then my stomach churns as I walk in the house expecting the worse.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Kannec wrote:My house is open plan and there is nowhere to shut him away (which I wouldn't want to do anyway). I have a child stairgate between my lounge and kitchen which is shut when my grandson is there and I leave Dougal in the kitchen.
On a purely practical note, would you not be able to leave him in the kitchen when you leave him? Or is that carpeted too? I know it wouldn't help with the toileting, but at least he won't damage the carpet.

But that of course isn't a fix... I'm not an expert, but here are some thoughts.

You do sound very stressed by the situation and I wonder if Dougal is picking up on that. How do you react when you find he's toileted or damaged the carpet? On its own I wouldn't have expected a few months off work to have made this much difference to his feelings about being left (unless you never left him alone for that time). Can you think of any other changes that could have affected him, including your mood in general?

As he's toileting indoors, and his behaviour has changed suddenly, it would be worth getting him a thorough vet check. If he has bladder/bowel issues, the stress could even be the result of not wanting to toilet indoors but having no choice (hence trying to dig himself out).

Although you think it isn't boredom, a bored dog will be more stressed about being left alone which may manifest as separation anxiety. So the experts can weigh up the possibilities and options, could you give the following information?

- Please give a full run-down of his daily routine - feeding, walks (how long, how far, on or off lead, roads/parks/countryside...), play, training... everything!
- What type of food do you feed him?
- When you leave him, do you give him anything such as kongs, treat balls, etc?
- How long do you need to leave him for?
- Would it be possible to arrange for someone to come in to play with him, let him out, or walk him while you're at work?

Most 'fixes' for separation anxiety are based on leaving the dog for very short periods to start off with and build up, but this won't work so well if he's sometimes left for longer than he can cope with. Is there anyone else (family, friends) who would be able to be with him (either at your house or theirs) while you worked on building up the length of time he's comfortable with?

This is an excellent book on separation anxiety: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ill-Be-Home-Soo ... +home+soon
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Kannec

Post by Kannec »

Thanks for the reply. Part of area between lounge and kitchen under stair gate is carpeted so that wouldn't work. I don't react at all when I come home as I don't believe that would mean anything to him. He rarely toilets in the house, it seems to be more when I have my grandson and we go out. also when he damaged the carpet on Saturday, the house was clean, no toilet mess. I am not aware of any change in me, apart from new job which I like, I haven't changed anything.

The routine we have is: out for a walk at 7.00am for 25 mins. I leave home for work at 8.45am, back at 2.45pm. Then a 30 to 40 min walk. He is not a big walker, never has been and 40 mins is his limit. Walks are all fields off lead. He has a small amount of dry food in the morning which I leave down for him as he is a grazer and I don't have a problem with that. He has a third of a tin of dog food mixed with small mixer around 5.30pm. But believe me, it took a long time to get this food right as I tried all sorts with him.

He has never been into toys, kings, chews etc. Tried those too.

There isn't anyone I can ask to come in during the day and unfortunately I cannot afford a dog walker. Up to me being made redundant, I worked full time and never had a problem at all. Absolutely nothing.
doggiedad

Post by doggiedad »

crate him when you're away from home or when you can't watch when you're home.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Dealing with SA may be needed, unfortunately I can't comment on that. I would not necessaily support the crating advice, as while possibly preserving your carpet, just sticking him in the crate will do nothing to alleviate the cause of anxiety, and may introduce additional stress, which in turn may make things worse.

But also, i would think that 25 min walk in the morning may not be enough. It seems that there isn't much happening in the morning for him to burn energy. And I mean - both physical and mental, so it's not just tiring him physically.
What does "not a big walker" mean in this case? That he gets really tired after 25 min? Or that he gets really bored? There is a difference... It may be that your walks are just boring, and if you make them more interesting - he will be more engaged, last longer, burn more energy, have more fun, and be more tired at the end.
If he really can't last more than 25 min on a morning walk, I would try a training session or playing some games after you come back, perhaps for another 20 min or so.
This will probably mean you getting up earlier..... But I found that everything is easier with a happily tired dog, so this may have a bit of positive effect too. Not much to loose in trying, i guess, and really no downside.
Kannec

Post by Kannec »

Crating is not an option. I tried that a long time ago and he was so stressed with that. I think he spent a large part of his first two years in one.

With regards to the length of walk. He has a problem with the muscles in his neck and was on medication previously. Is not on now as it seems ok at the moment. But after his longer walk, when he's had enough he just lies down and is ready to go home. I like your point about possible play or training and I think that could be something I could try.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Check out the Exercise your Dog's Mind thread here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1135 You say he's not into toys, but are there any games he particularly likes, and are there any foods (cheese, liver cake, roast chicken, etc) that motivate him? Chances are he didn't learn to play when he was young and although it will take time, it may be possible to educate him to enjoy toys now. Having said that, my dog doesn't 'play' on his own - but he will spend time emptying out a frozen kong, and you can make the filling absolutely delicious.

One thought - I had a friend whose dog used to scratch the door and cry continually when left. In the end she stuck a stepladder in front of the door, and not only did the dog stop scratching it as her access was blocked, but she started to settle down happily(ish) when left. It was as if the scratching had become a habit and in itself was a trigger for stress. So it may be that if you can somehow block access to the parts of carpet Dougal damages, this will break the habit. Possibly you could buy a dog pen like these http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... ds=dog+pen open out one end, and put it across the kitchen to create a 'safe area' for him. (Introduce him to it gradually and make it a wonderful place to be so he doesn't view it in the same way he did a crate.)

It might also help if you could video or sound record him when you're out of the house (you may be able to do this on your computer). Then you can see how he reacts when you've just left, how long before he starts getting stressed, and also just how stressed he gets. That could give clues to what will fix the problem.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009