I have a question about Victoria's First Book

Discussion of Victoria's books, It's Me or the Dog: How to Have the Perfect Pet and Fat Dog Slim: How to Have a Healthy, Happy Pet.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

daneluver

I have a question about Victoria's First Book

Post by daneluver »

Hello Everyone,

I have a question about Victoria's Book,
"It's Me or the Dog: How to Have the Perfect Pet".

What does she talk about?
I was just wondering if she talked about Training in there. I'm guessing she does considering she's a dog trainer, but we are currently training our puppy and I was just wondering whether it is a good book to train a
Puppy with.

Because sometimes things work differently for puppies and dogs.

Thanks,

~ Hannah
BoardHost
Site Admin

Post by BoardHost »

Victoria's first book is a general guide to dog training and the philosophies she uses in her own training. So yes, it's about training and how to train your dog, and there's plenty of info for puppies there as well.

Hope that helps.
BoardHost
daneluver

Post by daneluver »

Thank you very much for that information :)

~ Hannah
This is a REAL Tip ;)
If I give advice at night I'm probably tired and brain-dead at the moment, so unless someone give the same advice as me - and are experienced and like positive methods,

DON'T LISTEN TO ME!! :)

[email protected]
Fran

Post by Fran »

Hi I found Victoria's first book invaluable. We rescued a 2 year old Siberian Husky, and both my dogs now respond to hand and voice commands. I've used the techniques in this book for each dog and every technique I've used works. I wouldn't part with this book. :D
bella'smom

Book

Post by bella'smom »

Does she address clicker training in the book?

Thanks! :D
dixie's mom

Re: I have a question about Victoria's First Book

Post by dixie's mom »

I am trying to get the first book that victoria wrote and there is only two in our state libary system ! What i will do is write down some notes , should i read the first one is it more effective or does she have a second one that is better?
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

dixie's mom wrote:I am trying to get the first book that victoria wrote and there is only two in our state libary system ! What i will do is write down some notes , should i read the first one is it more effective or does she have a second one that is better?
It's Me or the Dog How to Have the Perfect Pet is really good. I've read it like 6 times. I've never seen Fat Dog Slim because its not available in the US. I know Victoria is in the process of writing a new one.
--dontpugme
LeeMedic

Post by LeeMedic »

I found Victoria's book incredible. I learned so much. She puts you inside a dog's body and allows you to see the world from a dog's side. What a wonderful concept. I highly recommend this book. I love the part of the book where the dog is trying to understand why a stranger want to pet his head.

Victoria is so clever! My wife and I TIVO all her shows and watch them when we are not at work.
LeeMedic

Post by LeeMedic »

dixie's mom wrote:I am trying to get the first book that victoria wrote and there is only two in our state libary system ! What i will do is write down some notes , should i read the first one is it more effective or does she have a second one that is better?
I found her book on the Internet for less than $8.
brownlitlle

Post by brownlitlle »

I've used the techniques in this book for each dog and every technique I've used works.
-----------------------------
become taller
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Bella'smom wrote:
Does she address clicker training in the book?
Yes she does! :D I read this book a few times and would recommend it for your puppy/dog. :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
HenrysDad

Post by HenrysDad »

I got her book a few months ago. It is nothing that I didn't already know and agree with, because I am an *avid* watcher of her show (every day it's on Animal Planet, and I have seen some episodes dozens of times), so I think of it as more of a companion text to her "audio/visual" classes. :wink: It's nice to have what she says in writing on hand.

That said, yes, the general training book is good for dogs of any age. I can't wait to see what the next book will be like, because I love Victoria!

If you want something on clicker training that is more expansive than what's in Victoria's book, check out Karen Pryor's work:

http://www.clickertraining.com/

Pryor is one of the authorities who is here on Positively as an expert.

http://positively.com/positive-reinforc ... pert-blog/
thepetmom

Post by thepetmom »

I just ordered her first book. I should have it in a few days and can't wait. I have trained four of my own dogs, a horse and mule so training is not foreign to me. I also find that I use it in my business as a dog walker/pet sitter as well. I'm getting this book to just reinforce training that I am doing with my own and working with client's animals. I am finding that more and more people are calling me for their dogs who seem to be a bit harder to handle out on walks.

It is important to remember that anytime you are walking your dog, playing with your dog, etc. is in some way training it. I have found that dogs are smart and can process many things so long we as the owners are consistent and clear.
hellogoodfriiend

Post by hellogoodfriiend »

I was debating if i should buy the book or not because we trained our puppy with tips from the show (: but from reading all of your responses i think i am going to pick it up anyway just to have onhand! lovelove Victoria--her methods helped my family and I to create the perfect little pup! :D
<3 teresa (:

"Happiness is a warm puppy" ~ Charles M. Schulz
Bluegirly01

Post by Bluegirly01 »

I can really recommend this book. I downloaded it from Amazon for my kindle and I found it very helpful. At the minute I am waiting for a waist bag to arrive so I can start teaching Mac commands with hand signals as well as voice.

Hayley